1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overzealous Big Brother Crap

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cruisin'Carolina, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Coming back from an evening at the office, listening to WBTV out of Charlotte, and heard what has got to be one of the most disturbing examples of government overreaction combined with the mis-application of dozens of new Social Service laws ever:

2 years ago in Raleigh, NC, a woman dropped off a roll of film at a drugstore to get it developed. A minimum wage worker developing the film notified police of the content of one of the photos.

A 5 month year old boy, the subject matter of the photo, was taken from his parents. His half-sister was also taken away from the family, and her father given full custody. The father of the 5 month old boy was arrested, and the mother was banned from any contact with either of her children. Both parents subsequently lost their jobs, their home, their lives, and freedom.

What was the heinous act caught on film? Daddy was giving his naked son a raspberry during a diaper change.

WTF?

It took an "expert" child psychologist testifying at trial that there did not appear to be any criminal intent on behalf of the father.

WTF? Rant off now, but the courts let out multiple offender child molesters with no hope of rehab, until they actually kill kids, and this is what the rest of us get?

Anyone heard more of this story that wasn't part of the broadcast I heard?

2. firetruck41

firetruck41

3. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Blow on their tummy. It tickles them, and they get a kick out of it. (I spent two minutes figuring out how to describe that without opening myself up to ridicule!)

4. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

I heard basically what you've summarized.

After spending most of my life in NC, this doesn't surprise me. Sometimes I think the dumbest people on the planet reside in this state (see minimum wage worker and government officials in this story).

There certainly are LOTS of exceptions (great higher ed, RTP, etc) but it seems hard to get through a day without having to navigate the idiot parade. It's just unfortunate when the idiot parade infringes on personal freedoms and lives like this example.

Ever been to the DMV in NC? :rolleyes:

5. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Used to work in the Coliseum area.....and lived in Ballantyne......

You mean the DMV off of Arrowood, standing in line behind 84 illegal aliens getting their license with no proof of anything, and I had to bring utility bills, cross reference my out of state license, check military records, and a lot of other things short of a DNA sample?

Yeah, I've been there.

And then I moved across the border!

6. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

Yep, you've been there. The people in line aren't the problem. The employees behind the counter always seem to be a few chromosomes short of functional...

7. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Agreed the people in line weren't the problem.

I can't remember the exact details, but it did seem I was asked to move over or go stand in another line or something really crazy while I was there....I knew something was wrong when the lady behind the counter did not seem to understand the language of the country and state she was licensing people for.

Overall, it was joyous. I think I went there 3 times and left before I ever had enough time to stay there for 3 hours. I left wishing my mamacita had packed ME a lunch burrito.

(I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LEGAL IMMIGRANT WORKERS!)

The Carolinas are a great place to be, but I'm going crazy trying to figure out the politics here. In Texas a lot of these officials would have been strung up a long time ago.

People vote no on the Bobcat Arena? Build it anyway and tax them!

Rant off now. I think I listen too much to the Jason Lewis show.

8. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

Don't get me started on Bobby Johnson...

Anyway, the original story is a shame. Gotta love the system!! :flipoff2:

9. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

And people wonder sometimes when I say that I have no desire to live in the Carolinas :rolleyes:

:D

The people involved with the railroading of that poor family need to be put away. It should go without saying, but what happened to them was total B.S.

10. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

As contradictory as it sounds, I wouldn't trade it for any other place... :D

And yes, I've been beyond the Carolina borders!! :flipoff2:

11. NorCalDoug

apparently not far enough -- the carolinas suck so much...that it managed to suck you back in :D :flipoff2: :D

12. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

There are worse things to deal with than to be stricken with the majority of your life spent in the Carolinas...

Based upon my time on the left coast, I stand by my position of not trading for anything!! :flipoff2:

13. NorCalDoug

Fair enough. You keep your Carolinas, I'll keep my California. :D

14. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I guess this brings to light something I should have known all along.....even if the different states had the the same laws, interpretation is key and is a huge variable.

Sort of sucks that a public official having a bad day, making $16K a year could ruin your life for playing with your baby, and then somewhere else some judge is releasing a mulitple offender so he can kill or molest more children.

And with Doug's view of the Carolinas, (lol) I'm just glad in the big scheme of things we will be ranked higher than Canada or Mexico on the annexation list!

I love California, just not the mainstream politics. Carolina, or at least Charlotte, is right there with them..