OVERTHUNK — Rear Air Quick Connect (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I tee’d from the under the hood dual ARB and ran an air line down along the drivers side frame rail. And then pondered where to put the rear quick connect.

I’ve seen the under the flap of the rear tail gate and that looks super slick. But I wanted a way to be able to air up or down without leaving the door open in case if the weather is cold or rainy.

Eventually if I get rear armor I could mount it to that.

I didn’t want to drill into the frame if possible.

So I found this empty pocket behind the driver rear wheel. There is a square opening from the bottom. And a piece of non structural sheet metal towards driver side of the vehicle.

It feels about 2 inches under any body panels (in case screw tips protrude).
So I figured this is a nice place to tuck it up and away.

Keep it from getting knocked off by rocks.

Shouldn’t get too muddy or gross.

I could probably reach up into the square hole, without laying on the ground and connect the hose just by feel.

I mocked it up and will likely install with some self drilling sheet metal screws tomorrow.
(Unless someone sees some folly to my plan)

That is an ARB bracket. It has three holes to allow for different orientations of the quick connect.

EE9D698E-CD55-4969-A1D6-BA9F223CAA3B.jpeg

91BD07CF-AC40-4E26-8394-BB6E0D84EB29.jpeg

60170443-C2D9-49A8-87AC-2E6B5CF25994.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a bad location that does have an advantage to where I have mine in the tailgate flap. Primary drawback to the tailgate is I can't use that port to blow the dirt/silt off the rear hatch when setting up camp. So I revert to the front underhood port for that use case. Whereas yours is usable with the doors all closed as you wanted.

Hopefully you have lighting, perhaps rock lights to help in night runs? I might be getting old but reaching under to get the hose in would be the disadvantage ergonomically. I'm sure it can work well with feel and practice.

Good stuff.

If it works for you, go for it! I can only imagine myself laying in the mud trying to deal with that on a trail. That location gets a lot of dirt/mud/etc slung up from the rear tires. It's one of those locations that seems perfect from the garage, but maybe test accessing that location out on some of your typical trails before installing? It might be fine if you are mostly on sand, dry rocks, etc. I still haven't installed my rear air hose fitting/Wits End bracket, since I can't figure out where to put it.

Yeah I think best is straight out from the bumper. But I haven’t committed to drilling the OEM bumper.

Yeah I tried just kneeling down and just reaching in and it seemed doable without having to lay on the floor.

Yeah I wondered how nasty it would be after a muddy trail. It is facing down and tucked in there. Maybe a simple rubber flap covering the hole…but think that’s getting too overthunk.

I thought I saw someone figure out a way to make it behind the rear red reflectors but that seemed like too much work.

Yeah I like straight out from armored rear bumper best. But til I get one I’ll try this spot out and report back.

I think somewhere inside the trunk is ideal. Keeps it clean, and you can hang out under the trunk hatch if it's raining. My $0.02 anyway.

This is what I did:

IMG_2285.jpeg

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_2271.jpeg

It works great and I love it. Quite possibly my favorite mod, if only because I did it myself.

Yeah one thing I wish I knew was the liberal use of push to connect for these mods.

Alot of ARB hoses are all the stainless steel wrapped PTFE....which are pricier...

But it sounds like the air coming immediately from the compressor is hot and needs a higher temp hose.
But the airs cools downstream so melting isn't as much of an issue.

Using the push to connect would have made my life much easier. I ran them for my rear spring airbags
I bought a long ARB PTFE and Evil Energy PTFE hose kit to make custom ones for other parts of my plumbing

If I ever spring a leak or damage the PTFE hose I'll probably change over to the push to connect.
much easier to fix (especially away from home) and cheaper to replace if there are any issues.

It works great and I love it. Quite possibly my favorite mod, if only because I did it myself.

Looks awesome and almost 007 ish.
You should do the soft tailgate open mod. Its makes the tailgate (which is my favorite part of the vehicle) even awesomererest

Yeah I think best is straight out from the bumper. But I haven’t committed to drilling the OEM bumper.

Yeah I tried just kneeling down and just reaching in and it seemed doable without having to lay on the floor.

Yeah I wondered how nasty it would be after a muddy trail. It is facing down and tucked in there. Maybe a simple rubber flap covering the hole…but think that’s getting too overthunk.

I thought I saw someone figure out a way to make it behind the rear red reflectors but that seemed like too much work.

Yeah I like straight out from armored rear bumper best. But til I get one I’ll try this spot out and report back.
I think you should go ahead and put it in the corner under the tailgate on the OEM bumper. A little hole there would be easy to hide with a pop in rubber grommet if you decided to take it out.

I agree with the discussion that having it available with the doors closed is good.

Use case 1: mosquitos everywhere. All doors closed, you airing up all the wheels at once using a 4x splitter and watching the pressure on the tpms MID display in the comfort of your drivers seat.

Second locaiton would be opposite the trailer light plug box in the same orientation.

Not a fan of that location but I tip my hat for the ingenuity. Like the others have mentioned I'd just stick it in the bumper or next to the hitch.

With the feedback above and some thought I changed the location to the rear near the hitch. I still couldnt bring myself to drill my frame. But I did cut up the hitch surround to fit…will put it back soon.

But I used 1 wire and twisted it to secure it. I use this technique at work to secure things as well.

This will be its location until I figure out my permanent rear bumper situation. It’s solid as a rock and is in an ideal location.

037C429E-961F-4B7E-950E-51CB06BDF36E.jpeg

7153DA56-D4E9-4A51-A801-B7A2804DFA88.jpeg

I would be afraid of that getting destroyed if someone bumped me. then again I live in the city

Anyone have any tricks regarding the blue clips that hold the hitch trim panel (not cover)
they seem like they have to installed with the bumper off the car in order to slide them horizontally thru the black tab....

I pried it off and damaged one tab and some how jimmied the other one off
Just wondering for the reinstall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom