Overseas shipping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey ad,

I think you are looking at three discreet phases to your plan: Titling, shipping and import.

Here in CR it's hard, but not impossible to obtain title to a "found" vehicle. You just need to find the right attorney.......

If Columbia law is like CR, you can alter the vehicle information (engine number) in the registry after you have it titled or during titling transfer. After all, sometimes engines must be replaced.

Why not contact a port broker in Columbia and hit him up with your plan? A broker can give you shipper contacts and get you squared away with the logistics after the legal stuff is completed.

As for importing, I guess you will need to see if the truck is old enough to be used on the highway. If not, then your plan to bring in a partial container load of "parts" is probably your best bet.

Good luck with your adventure!

Rick

Thank you for the heads up I think I will do that.

The car is a 1980 so it should be fine to bring into the states. Taking care of the paperwork here is the hardest part. Especially since I'm not a citizen of this country though I do know some people who are. The rig is on US embassy soil currently. It has been abandoned for approx 7 years as the last owner was not able to bring it back to the states (suppossedly becuase of the engine not mathing up)...which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

the last owner was not able to bring it back to the states (suppossedly becuase of the engine not mathing up)...which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, I'd contact a broker to find out exactly what export documents are required for the whole truck. While you are researching, hit him up with your back up plan of dis-assembling the truck to see if your idea is viable.

Then I'd find an attorney who knows how to work the system and can perform magic to the title and engine number. The attorneys goal is to make the documents that will get the truck out of the country in your name.

My experience here is that in CA countries, the titling laws were written such that all ID numbers had to match. Here in CR they had to make some titling work arounds as engines wore out and got replaced. It's not a pretty process, but it's doable.

One last thought is that you may be experiencing what we call the "gringo tax". Often times non-obstacles are thrown in the way of foreigners to see if the "problem" creates a little income for the obstacle chucker.

If that's the case, you just have to get better with blending in and crying poverty. Drooling over an old truck does not qualify as blending in!

Rick

Wow, I remember buying a car for my wife about 10 years ago - we bought it from the wreckers and they did not have the ownership for it. All we had to do was go to MTO (Ministry of Transportation) and pay $20, sign an affidavit stating we were truthful (we had a bill of sale from the wrecking yard, who were not listed as the current owner) - and then they printed a new ownership for us - done! I guess we just got off easy! (maybe you should bring it to Canada, then the US!!

I hope it doesn't come to that. I know some shady people who could get it there for me but that is a lot of coordination. It is going to take a lot already. Luckly someone in Colombia that is a broker is giving me a hand (hopefully not to expensive). Also I'm going to need to get the thin legally in my name. The embassy here that it is on is going to be the biggest pain in the ass I bet.

We will see. i'm going to do all I can to get this thing home. It would make a great rig back home. Maybe not as comfy as an 80 but hey. Its about more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom