Overriding the power antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a Yaesu HAM and a basic alpine receiver installed in my 1995 80 yesterday and found that the power antenna comes up regardless of the input I am getting music from( tuner, Bluetooth, USB). The previous install only had the antenna come up during use with AM/FM. The installer said the only solution was to cut the lead to the power antenna? Sounds like BS to me if it used to function that way.

Any shortcut that would enable me to regain use of the antenna through the buttons in the dash to raise and lower it? Just a matter of time to have it torn off by tree limbs or the car wash.

Thanks,

Todd

huh? i thought 1995 only had a fully manual antenna...meaning you HAVE to raise and lower it. later models have the auto-up and down when powered off. at least that's my take based on the EWD's and how my truck (with Sony headunit) works.

but an aftermarket unit typically has a antenna power lead. if they wired it to the antenna motor, you should be able to cut it and resort to pure manual mode.

Just watched Texasknowhow on youtube for 80 series radio upgrade install.
After install he describes needing to cut the antenna wire connection from the radio to harness.
Hope it helps.

Just watched Texasknowhow on youtube for 80 series radio upgrade install.
After install he describes needing to cut the antenna wire connection from the radio to harness.
Hope it helps.
Thanks for letting me know about that channel. Was considering adding a CDL switch and think it looks easy enough for me.

Not sure about cutting the power to the auto antenna, as the manual switch does not work now. Would hate to cut the power feed from the radio and have it become non functional, for that one day every few years where I want to listen to a football game on the radio.

Will have to check if there is another way to restore control from the buttons. Mast will probably get torn off and then the discussion is moot anyway.

Thanks,

Todd

Do you have an OEM antenna?
When I first bought my cruiser the previous owner had an aftermarket replacement antenna. I didn't even know at the time. It operated as you describe. Powered on and full height as soon as I powered on the radio. The aftermarket antenna was wired into the stock radio, but bypassed the OEM connectors. Up/down button didn't work.
Eventually, I replaced the aftermarket antenna with an OEM antenna and now it operates as it should. The antenna powers on when my Sony headunit powers on, but the antenna only raises to the height I last set it to with the up/down button. If I last had it lowered, it will only rise to that height. If it was set to full height, it will return to full height.

If you have an OEM antenna and your installer didn't use the correct pigtails to plug in to the stock harness, that may be the source of your problem. I wouldn't cut the lead to the antenna.

Not sure about cutting the power to the auto antenna, as the manual switch does not work now. Would hate to cut the power feed from the radio and have it become non functional, for that one day every few years where I want to listen to a football game on the radio.

Sounds like someone messed with the stock wiring. Did they use a metra harness? Is the antenna switch even plugged in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom