Overlanding Movies to check out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just watched a 2018 movie. "Losing the Way", about a young couple driving their 4Runner from AZ /Mexico border to within 2 miles of the Canadian/USA Border. They were trying to follow the "Great Western Trail"by using mostly dirt roads near this trail. The couple is rather new to off roading and overland camping, but do a good job of it and filming their adventure. Worth checking it out. I watched it free through Amazon Prime movies.

Also, for you hikers out there, check out "Figure It Out On the Hayduke". A 500 mile hiking trail that goes from Arches Nat Mon. to Zion Nat Park wandering all over the canyon country in between.
The hiker followed this trail for 66 days. Great views of this amazing country. Considered one of the hardest hiking in the world. Even if you don't hike, check it out for the canyon land vistas. Also on Amazon Prime. free.

I had the Hayduke Trail on my bucket list at one time. According to the guide book, it's brutal. Some of the sections in the Grand Canyon were just OMG. Like, waiting for rafters kind enough to take you across the river.

The official Hayduke route all together is around 800 miles connecting pre existing roads, trails, arroyo's and overland navigation. No new trails were developed, its all on public land , traversing 6 national parks(Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol reef, Bryce canyon, Grand canyon and Zion) Grand staircase-Escalante National Monument and covers the full range of terrain available on the Colarado plateau short of technical climbing. I am somewhat obsessed with hiking the entire route one day! @John in Utah and I hiked the first section in Arches last year after the fj40 cross country expedition breifcase handoff to him. FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? I am always looking for potential backpacking partners willing to spend weeks in the backcountry.

I am not flexible enough any more to do all the gymnastic moves involved in this trek. The Hayduke goes into and out of the Grand Canyon 3 times, and up over the Henry Mts, etc. Water is a constant issue. I got thirsty just watching the movie!!!:):beer: OOps!800 miles!!

I think I would be up to the physical challenge, but the logistics of planning, water sources and caches, gear, permits etc.etc. is somewhat daunting to me! On the bucket list for sure! Lockhart basin is the next section to hike. Spring maybe?

I think I would be up to the physical challenge, but the logistics of planning, water sources and caches, gear, permits etc.etc. is somewhat daunting to me! On the bucket list for sure! Lockhart basin is the next section to hike. Spring maybe?
All I can say is do it now, before you get to the point where your body gets old and you regret not doing it.

Yes, do it ASAP. I MT biked, hiked and off road motorcycled much of SE Utah for many years, up until my early 60's. About to turn 69 and still could physically do some of these things, but my joints are dictating how much I can push the limits, that are creeping up on me.
My knees are the boss of me now.
On the other movie, "Losing the Way" is something I hope to do more of and there are members of HDC that actively do this exploration, multi day camping in the back country. Adding some biking and hiking to an adventure like this movie would be my main goal now and in the future.
My highlight of 2019 was the two night overlanding that our group did in northern NM this last July. Great rugged 4x4 FR's and campsites with good folks. We even got a nice hike at 9000 FT.
Thanks to all who regularly put together these adventures for HDC.

Last edited:
If you're ever wanting to figure out details/logistics/food caches and have a love for the Grad Canyon, check out books written by George Steck. He authored a bunch of books related to Grand Canyon Loop Hikes. I had the incredible honor of hiking with him when I was 18 and he was in his 70s (and I didn't even realize what an honor it was). I was helping with some conservation/rehab work on an old CCC cabin near the North Rim. He was part of the group doing the work. He and I set off on a 3 day hike out and back to see if he could recover some gear he lost in a flash flood a year before. It was absolutely the most epic backpacking I had ever done and required us to have ropes to lower gear up/down boulders in creek beds, wading chest deep in water with our packs held above our heads and never saw another soul.

The Hayduke is on my calendar for spring 2021, after I hopefully hike the Arizona trail spring ‘20 with my old man.

Shoot me a note next time you make it up this way, I’m in the desert most weekends:beer:

Y'all are bunch of crazy cooks. Life is too short, joints are too old, vacation time is not plentiful - just overland already :rofl:

Lead the way , we will follow. :steer:

Another great Expedition movie, " EXPEDITION OVERLAND". A 3 part series covering Alaska to the southern tip of South America. A team of folks from Montana use their 3 Toyota Overland rigs to tackle the western hemisphere, back roads. They are sponsored and have well built 4 Runners, Tacomas and Land Cruisers. This movie is divided up into Alaska/Canada, Central America, and South America, and is done over several different years.
Check this one out. You may have already seen it, but it is new to me. Seeing areas of the world I will never see first hand.

This movie is divided up into Alaska/Canada, Central America, and South America, and is done over several different years.
Their Central/South American adventure was pretty good. Way too gear centric for me.

Their Central/South American adventure was pretty good. Way too gear centric for me.
I agree. I like simple and lightweight whenever possible. They did use most of their equipment, at some point, though. The border crossings were intense. But the places they went were amazing. The drone spots were impressive.

But when Larry pulls out an ice cream bar from his icebox, I will never say no.:D

I could see their faces , if you were in charge of food. You would warm up some pop tarts and coffee. And ring the dinner bell.. then... Mutiny on the Bounty......☠.

Check out Tim and Kelsey. They modified an 80-series, sold everything, and hit the road. They started in AZ, when down Baja, over to Mexico, and currently are in Argentina. New episodes come out on Friday. There are 76 of them so far, plus some other assorted videos.

Thanks for these other series, I will look at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom