Overland Journal Winch Test: 400 man hours - $15,000 investment - One winner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.expeditionswest.com
Overland Journal has just completed our most involved and by far most expensive test yet. With over 400 man hours of time over several weeks, we are very proud of the result.

Overland_Journal_Winch_Test.jpg

There have been many winch tests conducted in North American publications, but our test is the most comprehensive and most controlled ever conducted (that we can find). For example, all winches were tested on a single vehicle (which is very time consuming), with tightly controlled variables for temperature, battery, alternator and load. Other tests have been conducted using many different vehicles, with different charging systems, weights, tires, lifts, etc. Ours is the only test we can find that used a calibrated 25,000 lb. strain gauge to test each winch to its rated capacity. One winch barely made the rating, and another's case cracked trying.

Winches Tested:

Mile Marker V10 MOSFET
Ramsey UT9500
Superwinch Husky 10
Warn Endurance 12
Warn 8274-50

This issue goes to print in about a week, and will arrive to subscribers mid-to-late February. Anyone who subscribes before February 6th will receive this issue.

Here is a teaser video: It was fun to put together :)

A preview of the most comprehensive winch test ever conducted in North America

This next issue also features two unique FJ Cruiser expedition builds.

Any place to pick Overland Journal at the retail level? Barns and Noble? for example?

One winch barely made the rating, and another's case cracked trying.

Winches Tested:

Mile Marker V10 MOSFET
Ramsey UT9500
Superwinch Husky 10
Warn Endurance 12
Warn 8274-50

considering I have a Warn 8274-50 mounted on my FJ40 and a new MileMarker V10 MOSFET sitting in box for my FZJ80, I hope those two fared well...can't wait to see the issue!

Just got my issue and have read and re-read the winch test article about five times. Timely for me, and REALLY glad I read it, as I would otherwise have gone for some other models.

Dan

Cool, can't wait for mine to so up. Hoping the 8274-50 did well since there's one on my truck.

Just got my issue and have read and re-read the winch test article about five times. Timely for me, and REALLY glad I read it, as I would otherwise have gone for some other models.

Dan

For "crying out loud" what were the results? :confused:

had the issue, hadn't scanned the article....

My new not-yet-installed MileMarker V10 MOSFET passed :)

So did my 8274-50 (no surprise)

<--good to go :)

So who's the winner? :confused:

If it were up to some folks here, it'd be the 8274 for sure... :) Leaving Woody aside, of course, some wheelers have a pretty strong lustful carnal affection for those... :D

for the FJ40? The 8274 is the perfect winch...drop it between the frame rails and call it good.

jury is still out for me on my 80....no real complaints with the 10k TMax that's on there now, it hasn't failed me (other than a shattered brake...easy fix...)

Overland Journal's article didn't necessarily 'pick' a winner...price-to-performance, the Ramsey was tops...but pure performance put the 8274 ahead....for cutting edge features, the MileMarker V10 MOSFET.

for the FJ40? The 8274 is the perfect winch...drop it between the frame rails and call it good.

jury is still out for me on my 80....no real complaints with the 10k TMax that's on there now, it hasn't failed me (other than a shattered brake...easy fix...)

Overland Journal's article didn't necessarily 'pick' a winner...price-to-performance, the Ramsey was tops...but pure performance put the 8274 ahead....for cutting edge features, the MileMarker V10 MOSFET.

How did the Husky 10 do?

We have a few at work and they seem to outpull all of the 12k winches in the fleet, but very slowly (which I prefer for more control)

So uh why wasn't a hydraulic winch tested out of the bunch? Maybe its just me but it seems like an incomplete test without it.

they tested 5 winches...a 'complete' test would include over 100 winches, covering all weight ratings and types....

my suspicion is they chose the 5 they would want on their rigs and tested from there...I know I personally would not choose a hydraulic, since I tend to end up upsidedown and they don't work well if you can't run the vehicle ;) PTO has the same problem.

they tested 5 winches...a 'complete' test would include over 100 winches, covering all weight ratings and types....

my suspicion is they chose the 5 they would want on their rigs and tested from there...I know I personally would not choose a hydraulic, since I tend to end up upsidedown and they don't work well if you can't run the vehicle ;) PTO has the same problem.

Well agreed but the MM hydro just seemed like it would make sense to test unless the pure purpose of the article was to test electric only. I don't know because I haven't received my Gear Guide yet.

That being said, and I know its been beaten up on the winch/recovery forum, but I am leaning towards the hydro set-up. I do expedition travel and I purposely dont put myself into a position for a roll over. I like my trucks straight body too much :flipoff2:

I also like the fact that the motor doesn't heat up, I can have an infinite pull and it doesn't wipe out my battery if I have a long draw. Plus working under water is a plus for me. I HAVE been stuck once in a water crossing where I couldn't get traction and a winch took me out BUT if I had to take myself out the winch would have been useless under water.

But, I haven't fully committed so I could be swayed. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom