Overheating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question about overheating
I was driving along last night and heard what kind of sounded like a ping behind the drivers seat area and thought that was weird. Then I began to loose heat and then my 62 overheated. The engine wasn't smoking or anything. I was so close to home that I did drive it even though I probably should have just turned it off. Anyway I let it sit all night and this morning there was no fluid under it. Any ideas on what it could be? And how bad could I have hurt the engine by driving it home?

I was thinking a blew a hose??

Thanks

:)

Did you happen to check the floorboards for wetness. If the rear heater hose broke, the inside would be pretty wet I would think but not outside the truck.

As toyman said, check for wetness inside te car. But, also radiator and overflow jar: make sure they still have coolant in them(open rad only when cold!). Look for signs of leaks anywhere coolant tubes or hoses exist: under the car, under the front pass seat, under the hood: there are many hoses that carry coolant...most of them are easily visible. Don't drive it with the temp gauge pegged at overheat unless you're sure it's a false reading.

Don't forget that the coolant hoses to the rear heater run under the truck as well. You may want to check those. They are a bit thinner than the others. Just look under the truck in the rear heater's area (provided its the same as a fj60). If you haven't had a heating prob in the past, your engine is probably okay if home was really close! Otherwise, valve job, head gasket, to cracked head all possible. Find the leak, fill 'er up w/ coolant and drive around the block for 15 minutes. See what happens!

Thanks a bunch for the info, I am at work so I can't really do much now

My 60 started overheating when at idle. When you raise the RPM's up it is fine, the temp drops quickly. When the engine is running HOT there is no heat to the cabin, but when the motor returns to normal operating temps I get heat again.... what gives?

62girl
Don't drive around the block, Until you have found and fixed the leak!! It is probably one of the lines under the rig to the rear heater that burst that you heard, they often get grease on them and deteriorate. If you cant see where the leak is just put water in (if the system is empty) and run it, in your drive way. ONce you find the leak, change the hose, and refill with the coolant mixture. Sudden lose of heat usually means you have lost your coolant. Keep an eye on all of your fluids for abnormalities to insure further damage isn't done to other components. You might be ok, but you should never continue to drive (or run) if you think you may have lost one of your vital fluids.
Good luck.
ERICH

So my dad put some coolant in before I could get home, he put in the green coolant mixed with Toyato red... ('bout 1/2 gallon) Should I flush the system?? And what are the possible problems I could come across??

Thanx :)

62girl
I don't think the coolant combination is a problem but I am not sure, someone here probably knows for sure. Let it run up to temp, look underneath for a drip, then look for where it is coming from. Once the leak is repaired keep an eye on your temp gauge for things out the norm at different times, your looking for spikes in temp. When cool open your radiator cap and look for a redish rainbow film on the surface, like oil on the surface of water. When warm check your oil for bubbles. All of these things would point to a blown head gasket, which if you did any damage by driving it is the most likely thing. Pray it is not the case and that you got lucky.
Good luck.
ERICH

Doc said:
My 60 started overheating when at idle. When you raise the RPM's up it is fine, the temp drops quickly. When the engine is running HOT there is no heat to the cabin, but when the motor returns to normal operating temps I get heat again.... what gives?

DOC,
I can't say I'm an expert, but it may be a leak problem where the waterpump isn't able to circulate whatever coolant is in the system. You may even hear it rushing into the heater core when you first turn on the heat.

"The one cheerleader in the world who did not buy a Jeep!"

I've never traded pictures with anyone online before, but cheerleader... land cruiser... Ih8mud...... I'll send mine if you send your's!!!! I'd love to exchange pics of our TRUCKS!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom