Overheating... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pathfinder-trails.com
my 1KZT engine has begun to overheat. This is a new thing for it. My engine doesn't smoke. It's not leaking oil. My coolant reservoir is full but the radiator continually looks dry [so i keep topping it up].

any ideas on what to look out for would be appreciated.

the engine is bog std. and has done 125,000 miles and up until recently has run absolutely faultlessly. The first time we std to notice it overheating was in low gear up an extremely steep bank. But, we've also noticed the guage fluctuate hugely for no reason at all when driving on the flat?

thanks all for your help

Al

cracked head or possible head gasket if your continually topping the rad.

I would do a test for combustable gasses in the coolant.

thanks for your responses... i understand about testing the pressure in each cylinder but how/where does one test coolant pressure and how/where does one test for combustable gasses in the coolant?

oh... if it helps.... I've seen it before that the coolant is getting lost as it's running out the overflow pipe. Would this indicate that there is too much pressure in the coolant?

Also whould would too much pressure in the coolant or combustable gasses in the coolant indicate?

Sorry for 20 questions but it does concern me and i want to sound somewhat knowledgable when i go to a garage rather than paying £60 for unnecessary research as they fumble around.

PJHunter said:
oh... if it helps.... I've seen it before that the coolant is getting lost as it's running out the overflow pipe. Would this indicate that there is too much pressure in the coolant?

Also whould would too much pressure in the coolant or combustable gasses in the coolant indicate?

Sorry for 20 questions but it does concern me and i want to sound somewhat knowledgable when i go to a garage rather than paying £60 for unnecessary research as they fumble around.

Could be building pressure from a headgasket or cracked head, but I would check the rad cap first it might have failed and letting out coolant early, a pressure test on the cooling system will tell if it something serious or not.

PJHunter said:
/where does one test coolant pressure and how/?

You can buy a cooling system pressure tester in most parts stores. It looks like a radiator cap with an attached rubber hose and bulb, similar to the ones they use in hospitals/doctors' offices to test your blood pressure. You take off your rad cap, replace it with the pressure tester cap, pump up/pressurize the system, and sit back and watch for leaks or for the pressure to drop. If your system is good, then it should hold the pressure. Good luck.

Or this is a fancier one:
338802_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=200215424&storeId=6970

mallred said:
Could be building pressure from a headgasket or cracked head, but I would check the rad cap first it might have failed and letting out coolant early, a pressure test on the cooling system will tell if it something serious or not.
agreed, start cheap and work up...

Yep, radiator cap would be a prime suspect

i am finding this all very helpful. So thank you. I will go and look at buying a pressure testing kit today...

...just out of interest what would your thoughts be if the pressure test was actually ok? Would that mean it would definitely be something more serious like a cracked head or head gasket??

if there is no leak occuring outside the block or into the passenger compartment (ie the heater core leaking) then yes it has to be loosing the pressure inside the block somewhere..

Before, I have the same issu.

No coolant in the oil, non smoke, everything look dry... but after severale minute at high speed, all the coolant get out by the overflow pipe.

I first change : water pump, radiator, some hose, T-stat, some gasket ant the rad cap.

I try compression test.. but that not give me the answer.

My solution : new head gasket. The piston pressure seem to get out in the cooling system.

HTH

wesintl said:
On the cracked heads I've had I've found the pressure test to be worthless.

So you're saying the pressure test didn't achieve anything?

also... is it likely that a head would 'just go'? Wouldn't it take some extreme lack of maintenence or neglect to stuff a head?

And wouldn't a head gasket 'just go' as well? Or are there cases where just through sheer time and age a HG would just wear out like any other component?? Also I always thought that where a HG had failed the engine wouldn't maintain any form of stable temp at all. Is my thinking wrong?

On another note... when to buy a pressure test kit today but Halfords didn't have any. So I'll have to find another local automotive store here in Bristol that stocks 'em.

PJHunter said:
So you're saying the pressure test didn't achieve anything?

Yep pressure was fine. I left it on there for a bit too and it held steady. That was on my fj60.

Exhaust gas in the cooland test is the best option IMHO.

wesintl said:
On the cracked heads I've had I've found the pressure test to be worthless.
did you do a cold test or a hot test? i have had good results doing this test...
cheers

crushers said:
did you do a cold test or a hot test? i have had good results doing this test...
cheers

Yep. I think a cold one is worthless. It's gotta be hot for the crack to open up hoses get soft for pin holes etc.. FWIW we did it at a mechanics shop to so unless we were both seeing things It didn't work. Actually I should modify my statment as I didn't do it on the 3B. I only did the gas pressure test and I pretty much knew from driving and loss of coolant what the problem was. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what's going on although at the time I was trying hard not to believe it. :frown:

JMH.02

Last edited:
PJHunter said:
but what would cause a head to crack if it hadn't overheated before?

stock gauges aren't always accurate. Not saying it is a head crack but your coolant is going some where, either through a crack or bad gasket. Pressure test at least can help with pin holes in hoses and bad connections where you loose coolant onto the engine and it burns off. :)

wesintl said:
Yep. I think a cold one is worthless. It's gotta be hot for the crack to open up hoses get soft for pin holes etc.. FWIW we did it at a mechanics shop to so unless we were both seeing things It did work. Actually I should modify my statment as I didn't do it on the 3B. I only did the gas pressure test and I pretty much knew from driving and loss of coolant what the problem was. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what's going on although at the time I was trying hard not to believe it. :frown:

JMH.02
yes, i have found a cold test is worthless but a hot test does help. i have never done a exhaust gas test, how is that done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom