overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has any body had an intermitent overheating problem '94 1fz w/ 180k mi. i have installed a new rad. cap and thermostat, but the problem still happens. :mad: i havent noticed anything odd, no loss of power or compression, no smoke and no milkshake for oil. i am thinking bad water pump or plugged radiator.

Trojan,

There are many very complete threads discussing overheating issues. A clogged radiator is one of the common problems. We haven't seen many bad water pumps but there have been a couple. A lot more clogged rads though. Another common problem is a bad fan clutch.

Do yourself a favor and search the archives just so you have all the information on tackling this problem. It could be any number of things from a simple stuck thermostat to a cracked head (see Doug's current thread.) You will want to check all the components in the cooling system before you start throwing parts at it.

Other factors that we need to know to help diagnose is when does it overheat? Speed?? Terrain?? towing?? and anything else you can think of that will help us help you.

-B-

trojan_knight said:
has any body had an intermitent overheating problem '94 1fz w/ 180k mi. i have installed a new rad. cap and thermostat, but the problem still happens. :mad: i havent noticed anything odd, no loss of power or compression, no smoke and no milkshake for oil. i am thinking bad water pump or plugged radiator.

If your w/p was bad or you had a plugged rad, chances are your overheating would not be intermittent.

Spend $20 and send a sample of your oil to Blackstone lab and get piece of mind.

Note: A head gasket can be leaking without showing the signs you noted above.

i have an electric fan that is working. can these plastic tanked rads. be rodded?
phil do you have an address for blackstone?
overheating only happens in town not on the freeway
thanks

Rodding these radiators is not a great idea except maybe as a spare...

There is a high probability that the radiator will leak after it is done...

If the radiator is suspect, your best bet is a new one.

trojan_knight said:
i have an electric fan that is working.

Is this in addition to the stock fan?

-B-

trojan_knight said:
i have an electric fan that is working. can these plastic tanked rads. be rodded?
phil do you have an address for blackstone?
overheating only happens in town not on the freeway
thanks

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

in town slow speed and not on the highway, sound like the fan clutch is not kicking in when the radiator is hot. It sounds like you need a new fan clutch. later robbie

i dont have a mechanical fan just dual 12" electrics in an alumunum shroud. 3in side dump exhaust ( i love this state no emisions) alcohol/water injection@ full throttle. thank for the input

trojan_knight said:
i found the problem! the thermostatic switch went out and the fans wenrent working at all. new 180 degree switch problem solved.

It took you 16 days to realize the electric fans were not turning? :rolleyes:

-B-

If someone converted the truck to electric fans to overcome an overheating problem, then you'd better fix THAT problem as well. Overheating in Wyoming in November?? I agree with Kevin - those fans are not going to move enough air to keep this engine cool under much load in summer. Personally, I'd convert it back to the mechanical fan.

DougM

we have been having a weird winter we got snow just a couple of weeks ago. this is the first time i have ever had a problem with the fans and now that they are working right again the problem went away.

thanks for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom