1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sc40, Jul 3, 2005.

1. sc40

sc40

So, i'm posting this for a freind. his jeep cherokee overheated bad, all the way in the red. what will fail from this happining? i know he is dumb for driving like that but he did buy a jeep. so please just help and no flameing

thanks all

2. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

What could fail?

Oil-- gets too thin to properly lubricate-- may even burn and turn into carbon.

Bearings-- due to lack of lubrication

Head gasket

Burnt valves/seals

Warped head/cracked head

piston rings (Lubrication again)

Any of these could have gone. there's a chance none of them have gone. It depends how hot it got, and how long it stayed that way. Basically, he cut the life of his engine, but it's hard to tell how much without opening it up. DO a compression test to see how that is, that will tell you about bad rings, valves, head gasket or head. The rest could fail next time you start it, you just don't know.

Steve

3. sc40

sc40

ok, thanks

4. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT

The Heep 258 straight six is just like every other 6 cylinder engine out there. I would check to see if he cracked the head, warped the gasket. It all depends how long he drove it like that, something caused it to do that in the first place..