Overheating!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
I have: 1) replaced the thermostat
2) replaced the fanclutch
3) replaced the waterpump

The radiator was doing fine before I blew my headgasket. So was the tempurature guage.

Is it possible some of the gunk from the coolant oil mixture leftover from the blown (now replaced) headgasket is in there blocking something?

What could be causing this?

Looking for answers.

Pick up one of the point and shoot thermometers and check all areas of the radiator for temp variance. I've had the situation where the top was staying cool but the bottom was clogged up. Without the entire thing flowing, there will be issues with overheating.

Also, if you have a fry's electronics there they have the thermometers for about half the price of the specialty automotive ones.

You may want to burp the radiator as well. I've heard air pockets can cause the same problems. There's a thread on here somewhere about the process, essentially park the truck cold on an incline, take the cap off and run it with the heater on high until it warms up and stops bubbling air out the fill tube.

yeah, This could be a air in the system problem. You might try WITH A COLD ENGINE, takiing the radiator cap off and with he front of the rig sitting higher than the rear, (on a curb, on some ramps, etc) run the thing with the cap off and the FRONT AND REAR HEATERS ON run the rig until the thermostate opens and the coolant starts running around. Should the coolant not start flowing in the radiator then you have thermostat or blackage problems. If it flows and it "burps" every now and then then you had air in the system this will cause over heating and resevior over flow if not treated.

It takes a while to warm up and start flowing, after the burps add collant directly into the radiator then set up the resivior with the correct amount...

If it does not "burp" and slosh coolant all over the place then there was no air in the system.

Could you have possibly put the thermostat in upside down? That has happened and can restrict flow...

Your radiator could very well be plugged with oil sludge. I've had to deal with a similar problem. After having the cylinder head replaced I noticed a little oil in the coolant. A few months later the engine started overheating on the highway (a sign that the radiator needs love). It still does get a littel too warm sometimes, but usually only when the truck is heavily loaded. I haven't done anything about it since I'll soon be replacing the engine anyway.

bridges said:
Pick up one of the point and shoot thermometers and check all areas of the radiator for temp variance. I've had the situation where the top was staying cool but the bottom was clogged up. Without the entire thing flowing, there will be issues with overheating.

Also, if you have a fry's electronics there they have the thermometers for about half the price of the specialty automotive ones.

You may want to burp the radiator as well. I've heard air pockets can cause the same problems. There's a thread on here somewhere about the process, essentially park the truck cold on an incline, take the cap off and run it with the heater on high until it warms up and stops bubbling air out the fill tube.

Thanks for all the input. I tried the above (the burping part that is) this morning and it worked! Drove my truck to the muffler shop today. Pickin' it up tomorrow.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom