Overheating woes! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sadly, after purchasing @TRFCSUX FJ62 this year I barely drove it. I ran into some overheating issues and it stranded us one night. I replaced the thermostat and coolant and a cracked thermostat housing thinking I was good. Looks like I'm not in the clear yet!

A couple things: I'm not leaking coolant as far as I can tell. The fan clutch seems to be fully locked up. A roll of paper towels won't slow it down and it doesn't spin beyond where my hand moves it when the engine is off. Wouldn't a locked up fan clutch cause me to run cool all the time?

The fan shroud. The bottom half is missing. I know everyone likes to cut them in half for easier servicing and the bottom is probably missing due to the body lift on the truck since the fan is lower. That being said, its still pulling air through the radiator. I have another shroud I'm going to modify to at least close it up more.

I thought I was in the clear but took my kid to preschool the other day and the temp gauge spiked as I pulled in the parking lot and then it quickly settled back down. (that's what it was doing before, spiking up and then coming back down)

I'm going to order a new fan clutch and work on rigging up the fan shroud. Anything else I could be missing? I want to start driving it!

That really sounds like gauge ground problem that most 60-series trucks seem to have. Mine does it frequently.

It seems like an option but since it did actually overheat at one point I think there’s a system issue too

That really sounds like gauge ground problem that most 60-series trucks seem to have. Mine does it frequently.

Second this. Look at the fuel gauge when the temp spikes. If they both move, it is the pesky gauge issue.

Nope the fuel gauge stays put. I’m ordering an inline temp sensor mount to connect the installed but not hooked up temp gauge too

Nope the fuel gauge stays put. I’m ordering an inline temp sensor mount to connect the installed but not hooked up temp gauge too
If you have air still in the system, you may get those spikes as well

I’ll go out and try to burp it some more. I haven’t really elevated the front of the truck when I’ve done it thus far. It is safe to say I need a new fan clutch though, correct?

The aftermarket temp gauge was never hooked up but the factory one was still in operation.

I’ll go out and try to burp it some more. I haven’t really elevated the front of the truck when I’ve done it thus far. It is safe to say I need a new fan clutch though, correct?
Sounds like it.

The aftermarket temp gauge was never hooked up but the factory one was still in operation.

I think I need a place to plug it in still though so I’m thinking one of the inline set ups. It’ll help lengthen my new OEM upper radiator hose (that body lift adds a little distance from the radiator to the thermostat hosing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom