overheating when warm and re-started (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after getting the truck to normal operation temps, i find that it is on the verge of overheating after it's been off for five minutes then restarted. i've replaced the thermostat, radiator, and hoses. it cools off pretty fast, but is worrisome. anyone else have this issue? any cure? should i not worry about it? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

what is it? 45, 60, 62?

my 60 does(and has always done) what your saying. if I shut it off, get back in, the temp gauge raises to the top, then starts to drop pretty quick..........and I KNOW its not overheating because I have checked it with a non contact thermo. So I would say its normal and not to worry.

think my 45LV does this, maybe even the 40's.

all the above have complete new cooling systems.

So if its just the guage reading hot.........don't worry, but if its really overheating, then get it figured out.

thanks for the help. it's a 60. the fan clutch is okay and the entire rest of the cooling system is now new. no longer overheating, but still doing it on a re-start. sounds like it's a faulty guage. i'm assuming replacing the guage will make no difference?

not sure its faulty, might just be how it is. Or mayne the temp sender.

45lplive said:
thanks for the help. it's a 60. the fan clutch is okay and the entire rest of the cooling system is now new. no longer overheating, but still doing it on a re-start. sounds like it's a faulty guage. i'm assuming replacing the guage will make no difference?

This is perfectly normal. When you turn off the truck after driving at normal operating temperature, the coolant no longer circulates through the cooling system and through the radiator. Plus the fan is not moving with the truck off. The coolant in the block picks up the heat from the engine block and has no way to exchange it and cool it. When you turn the truck back on shortly after turning it off the temperature naturally has risen. Plus the temp sensor is in the block/head. As long as the temperature returns to the normal operating range after about a minute after the truck is restarted, then everything is ok.

Both of the 60's I've owned did/do this, it seems to be normal for this vehicle.

hey, thanks for all the replies. just thought it was a little odd, especially after replacing most of the system. makes perfect sense now. will spend more time worrying about everything else on the truck now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom