Overheating, Water Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1st post. searched & still wanted to ask. Here is the sequence and questions.
Top radiator tank was cracked. shop replaced and cleaned core. belts were cracked so I decided to replace. no tensioner but the tightness seemed right. my wife mentions a wierd noise, but i couldn't duplicate it. then we hear the noise again (noise began during a 2 hr stop and go traffic crash). Truck is now overheating. no leaking that i can see. but the overflow from the coolant expansion tank has needed to be filled twice in as many days? so I know something isn't circulating right.
I am going to start with replacing the water pump & thermostat tomorrow night I guess.
Do water pumps usually make a substantial noise when the go?
The heater not working was my first sign yesterday morning. I don't have a temp gauge but the temp needle went to just below half where it always is, until my way home tonight. luckily i was 2 blocks.

anyway thanks for reading.
any suggestions on other culprits?
Jake

Head gasket.

Head gasket.
Okay, so my first post received one reply. Of course I didn't want that to be the issue. Changed out thermostat and valve cover gasket and some heater hoses. Next day it started running odd. Then white puffs out the tailpipe.
So thanks for the reply, Cary. Too bad for me you are apparently correct.

So I didn't drive it more than 2 blocks after it overheated.
Any suggestions on what else to change when I am changing the head gasket?
should I be hopeful it is just the gasket and not a crack or warped head?

I will be browsing the site for all the info I can before I begin this weekend.
Thanks

Okay, so my first post received one reply.

Jake,
You are MUCH more likely to get informed replies or even helpful suggestions if you will tell us which year model you are having problems with along with the type of engine and mileage and anything else you can think of that will assist us in framing an intelligent response.

-B-

Last edited:
Okay, so my first post received one reply. Of course I didn't want that to be the issue. Changed out thermostat and valve cover gasket and some heater hoses. Next day it started running odd. Then white puffs out the tailpipe.
So thanks for the reply, Cary. Too bad for me you are apparently correct.

So I didn't drive it more than 2 blocks after it overheated.
Any suggestions on what else to change when I am changing the head gasket?
should I be hopeful it is just the gasket and not a crack or warped head?

I will be browsing the site for all the info I can before I begin this weekend.
Thanks

There has been a rash of HG jobs done lately. Take a look at those threads. I believe Shipwreck has a nice long detailed thread on his.

IdahoDoug has DVD of the process for sale that comes well recommended.

X2 on -B-'s note, year, model, miles, and as much info is helpful.

point taken.
94 landcruiser - basically a stock vehicle.
I think the mileage is about 165K.
I have the service manual. I like the DVD idea.
pretty new at forums and posting as you can tell.
love the site. i have learned quite a bit about my vehicle by posts.

Good luck! :)

Do the water pump and thermostat ,then see what happens .My 80 is very dependable.I do know why so many head gas. seem to being done? Mike

point taken.
94 landcruiser - basically a stock vehicle.
I think the mileage is about 165K.

No problem. We are here to help and understanding what engine we are talking about is key to the diagnosis. FYI, you have the 1FZ-FE engine based on knowing that you live in Salt Lake City and have a 1994 model. There were a variety of engines offered in other countries but those in the North American market only had 1 engine and 1 transmission choice throughout the 80-Series production.

First, do a good inspection of your cooling system. Rad cap, hoses, PHH, and anything that will give you a clue to the source of the coolant loss. There are heater hoses underneath the vehicle on the right side below the passenger. These go to the rear heater and have been known to leak. There is a Pesky Heater Hose (PHH) on the left side of the engine in the area of the starter. These are a known problem at your mileage.

As a little background, we have seen what many of us consider to be an abnormally high percentage of 1FZ-FE engines that have experienced head gasket failure. Cary is probably correct in his HG diagnosis but you'll want to confirm this before taking it to a dealer or a mechanic for HG repair or pulling the head yourself if you are a DIY guy.

One way to tell is by doing the "bubble test." Basically you have someone rev the engine to 3,000 RPM while you watch for bubbles in the overflow tank. You'll need to pull off the cap and watch the tube that goes down into the overflow tank. If you see a steady stream of bubbles then you more than likely have a blown HG. If you don't see any bubbles then look for signs of an external HG leak, including the back of the cylinder head, behind #6. That coolant is going somewhere. Are you seeing white smoke in the exhaust? Do you have the characteristic "sweet" smell of anti-freeze in the exhaust? If these turn up negative then you can get a test kit at NAPA that will test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. If this turns up negative then consider having a mechanic do a leak-down test. If all these turn up negative then let us know and we'll do some more guessing.

Keep us posted and welcome to the 80-Section.

-B-

Last edited:
My 80 is very dependable.I do know why so many head gas. seem to being done?

Because you are clueless and your 80 has the 3FE engine and not the 1FZ-FE?

Just a guess.

-B-

Thank you for your sage wisdom ,just trying to help I did not realize yours was the only opinion that matters. Mike

Beowulf, first the engine had a hard time starting (almost like it was siezed) but it then started but it was missing? knew something wasn't right. I then drive a couple of blocks to get the kids to baseball practice and started seeing white smoke from the tailpipe. I have been checking the oil frequently as it has been leaking for a little while from the valve cover gasket.
Until I started seeing the white smoke the oil was clean. but then the oil was milky.
so i am pretty sure this is the head or head gasket is the culprit.
I have changed the PHH (and the front end /birf seals) - thanks to some help from this forum. right after i bought the truck in Jan 06.
I am a DIY guy if i can do the work.
I guess that is where i need the most help is ....
What else besides the gasket (provided that is the problem) should i change while i have it taken apart?
As i worry that with a new gasket it might cause pressure problems that could expose another part that was ready to go.
I feel this is what happened.
I sealed the coolant system (leak in the radiator) and then sealed the valve cover (new gasket) and then the head leaked.
Pressure has to escape somewhere.

thanks for the help
Jake

Jake,
The white smoke and the milky oil are all you need to know and those tell you that you have a blown head gasket. It needs to be repaired before you drive the vehicle any more. Continuing to drive it will potentially do expensive damage.

Don't worry about "pressure has to escape somewhere." The valve cover had nothing to do with the HG failure. The radiator might have leaked if the blown HG was over-pressurizing the cooling system. There are a number of good threads that have "while you are in there" tips when doing a HG. Please search those threads and you will find plenty of information. Advanced search, 80-Section Keyworks: blown HG* while there (those should get you started.)

Shipwreck has a recent HG thread with pics. He went a little overboard on the "while you are in there" but it is a good thread. There are many others including the section in the FAQ.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

-B-

Last edited:
Thank you for your sage wisdom ,just trying to help I did not realize yours was the only opinion that matters. Mike

Give me a break dude. You have been posting your one-liners for many months and 9 times out of 10 your advice is wrong. Everyone guesses wrong sometimes and that is fine but it seems like you are intentionally throwing out bad suggestions just to piss people off and you have royally pissed me off.

Now, you are insinuating that guys are mistakenly replacing their 1FZ-FE head gaskets and your rationale is because your 3FE has never had a problem. That is just too dumb to let it slide. You are posting in the tech section Mike, so this isn't supposed to be off-the-wall opinions... it is supposed to be solid technical advice so guys like Jake can make good decisions about the problems with their trucks and how to spend their money.

-B-

thanks for the suggestions. will likely be getting started sat. morning. Hope the gasket is the culprit. Truck is parked until repaired. Love it, need it. got camping to do!

okay so i have almost everything taken off (manifolds, head cover etc...). I am at the point of taking the cams off and unbolting the head.

wondered about changing timing chain, but doesn't appear to be recommended on this board. what about guides? can they be changed easily? and should they be as a PM item?

I just read a comment in another thread (head-gasket-replacement-advice-needed) that "Toyota doesn't recommend milling the head" is this true? I am planning to take the head to a shop for measuring. what if they find it isn't flat?

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in Salt Lake City that i could take the head to? preferably close to downtown.

Thanks
Jake

Last edited:
Jake,
Changing the timing chain or replacing the guides is a big project. Easily another day of wrenching to get the timing chain cover off. The 93-94 chain guides sometimes fail but I wouldn't replace it unless there was a problem. The timing chains are rarely a problem and I cannot remember anyone ever having one fail or having to replace one for some reason.

As for milling the head, Toyota recommends replacing the head if it isn't flat. However, many are having the head resurfaced when they have it pressure checked and the valves ground. You'll have to go back to some of powderpig's posts to be sure but I believe the max recommended is 0.010" (please double check this number!)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom