Overheating uphill normal 3fe motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed a significant temperature spike while driving uphill for short periods of time. Driving the city streets she’ll normally sit around 180-190 degrees however while driving uphill she gets between 200-230 at her highest.
Is this normal for these engines to get so hot?
Once back to flat land driving after each temperature spike the engine normally comes downs within a minute or two of normal driving/idling. I am thinking there’s a mechanical issue contributing to this issue.
My initial plan is to replace the thermostat and fan clutch to see if they are causing issues. Not sure if I am headed in the right direction… also thinking of replacing radiator hoses while I’m at it.
Additionally the weather has been very cool so the enviornment is not contributing to the overheating Issues I am having.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Replace the fan clutch with an Aisin green hub as a first step. Your fan clutch is now 30 years old and it is often overlooked.
Do not use aftermarket parts. Aisin part number FCT-049

Last edited:
Replace the fan clutch with an Aisin green hub as a first step. Your fan clutch is now 30 years old and it is often overlooked.
Do not use aftermarket parts. Aisin part number FCT-049
I’ve already received a fan clutch however it is a “beck arnely” brand clutch.
part number 130-0185.
no good?
the aforementioned fan clutch is 3x’s the price which is why I went for the more cost effective one.

My 3FE can climb steep hills and high elevation with AC on and not go over 210F. Get an Aisin fan clutch and new thermostat and see if that helps before you get deeper into the cooling such as radiator and such. My 3FE would use to get hot when the cooling was bone stock.

With the part resources we have from vendors here on mud and online sites like partsouq.com etc, no reason to get the cheap box store parts. OEM can be found for not much more and is WAY worth the uptick in price.
went on rock auto and the Gates thermostat was actually more expensive than the Aisin brand….?

If your radiator is 30 years old consider replacing it. I had the same problem and replaced the thermostat, fan clutch and finally the radiator to find the solution. Good luck with your project!
I second this. My black 80 in my profile pic notoriously would move the needle heading up the grapevine and it would freak me out. I started trying every trick I researched on this forum. At the end of the day, I replaced the radiator and I haven't had an issue since.

I used to pull over after the new radiator was installed still anxiously checking the overfill tank, but with new hoses and new radiator and fan clutch it's made doing long drives much more relaxing for me almost 50k miles later.

If your radiator is 30 years old consider replacing it. I had the same problem and replaced the thermostat, fan clutch and finally the radiator to find the solution. Good luck with your project!
What brand radiator did you end up going with?

What brand radiator did you end up going with?
If i may...I am on my 3rd aftermarket radiators. I had CSF installed when my 250k miles OE exploded on a trip to Zion. with CSF, i had cooling issues, where my operating temp sees north of 215F and overheating on hill climbs. I then took the plunge and replaced with a Ron Davis. 3 yrs into it. zero problems, well worth the price if your rig is moded with additional weight, larger tires etc. I recently replaced my RD with a cheaper Lilland unit and it has been wonderful so far for a fraction of what the price of the RD. I hightly recommand Lilland unit, i think i picked one up for $300 or so. If you can afford the RD, get the RD, they are on back order, LIlland is much cheaper and wasnt on back order at the time i needed a new unit.

Tore down the fan clutch, radiator hose, and belts today. Also took apart the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat. I need a couple parts now...

Does anyone have a good part supplier/part numbers for the thermostat housing hose? Also looking for the studs and nuts that belong to the fan mounting hardware if anyone knows the best product to use?

Thanks!

Pics of tear down today…

29C9A579-B85F-46BF-A243-D45C4319AD48.jpeg

C01B1ABB-9253-4CA8-BBCD-AD3119840DB8.jpeg

BA42A896-58F6-4A86-A285-6BAAD47F409A.jpeg

4179F098-34CA-4C75-93E8-54B995FB72D6.jpeg

0BC636D9-52D4-4222-BD4C-AAAAAD4DFDA5.jpeg

Tore down the fan clutch, radiator hose, and belts today. Also took apart the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat. I need a couple parts now...

Does anyone have a good part supplier/part numbers for the thermostat housing hose? Also looking for the studs and nuts that belong to the fan mounting hardware if anyone knows the best product to use?

Thanks!
toyotapartsdeal.com for OEM parts
fan clutch hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom