Overheating? Maybe new radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of months ago, when it was still cold, I drove from Sacramento to Phoenix with a medium sized U-Haul. As we drove up Tehachapi the temp gauge started climbing (not modded gauge). It went down again and was OK for the rest of the trip. Later it did the same on the big hill on I-17 enroute to Prescott. I thought it might be the fan clutch, so I bought a new one (blue!), installed it and flushed the radiator and put in new red coolant. Big bucks. Just got a scangauge, and it's generally been running OK, except now my wife tells me (I'm working in San Francisco, and it's hot in Phoenix) that the gauge is reading 220 degrees just driving on I-10 with the a/c on. I don't think it should be doing that if things were working OK. Somethings amiss. I wonder if maybe the radiator needs replacing? Most of the hoses are new, PHH is new, good bets, no leaks, etc., doesn't throw a code, etc. What's up? Does anybody know if the SOR radiator is a Koyo? I'm thinking that might be the problem. Any ideas? Thanks, Ned

If it's only heating up under load, the radiator is a good bet.:idea:

The blue hub is a nice clutch, but in stock form is not up to desert need. Changing the fluid to a higher viscosity nets great results.

My "over the net guess" is; your issue is more than that. Sounds like you are losing (have lost) the radiator. For desert use I would replace it. Ether will work, but my first choice would be the aluminum/plastic

If is OEM, in one of those overheating the top could crack, and that always happen in the least expected place. Take it to a radiator shop and have it professionally cleaned. I'm going through this right now. The shop tested the cap, which was OEM and 2 years old an failed. They also did the chemical test to see if the antifreeze was contaminated, oil-fumes and all passed. Now that I replaced it, I have to put the truck under a heavy load or find me a long steep hill. If it overheats again, is the radiator.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom