"overheating" after sitting ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It runs at normal temperature while driving. If I stop it and then come back in five minutes, the temp gauge is at the red line. Is this normal?

I really want to be on top of any overheating issues. It's in the 40s and 50s right now but I'm a little concerned about the impending summer with the 105 - 110 degree days.

It starts fine but runs rough for a bit.

:beer: Chad

Definitely not normal. There is a problem somewhere. I would start with the water pump and fan clutch.

I have the same problem, and it is making me nuts. EVERYTHING was fine until had had the therm changed and the block heater put in. I know that there is air in the system, as I can hear water "rushing". I have had no luck AT ALL getting the air out. BUt does anyone think that air could be getting in the system to keep causing problems? I don't just want to start throwing parts at it.

Zack

Zack,
I had the same problem the other day. I had most things replaced that needed replacement.
One thing that my mechanic overlooked the last time around was checking the fan clutch. Just because the fan is moving doesn't mean it's working properley.
Have it tested and if the fan clutch has never been changed that may solve your problem by getting a new one.

Mine works well now and is between 1/2 and 3/4. Normal driving would be fine but touch and go traffice was hell before the problem was solved.
Good luck with it and I hope that it's just an old fan clutch.

It is common to see a temperature gauge spike after driving the car for a decent amount of time and returning in five minutes to see the gauge spiked. What happens is the coolant stops circulating after the engine is shut off and the temperature gauge is getting a false reading from hot cooling being stuck in the head. If it running fine going down the road and cruising down the street then you are fine. IF the temperature gauge spikes while driving or idling with the engine on then I would be concerned.

Dylan

I have the same problem, and it is making me nuts. EVERYTHING was fine until had had the therm changed and the block heater put in. I know that there is air in the system, as I can hear water "rushing". I have had no luck AT ALL getting the air out. BUt does anyone think that air could be getting in the system to keep causing problems? I don't just want to start throwing parts at it.

Zack

make sure when you are checking the coolant level that the radiator cap is at the highest point of the system. I have also run the engine while cold with the cap off and burped it with the radiator cap at the highest point with luck. Make sure you are running the heaters also. HTH

Dylan

It is common to see a temperature gauge spike after driving the car for a decent amount of time and returning in five minutes to see the gauge spiked. What happens is the coolant stops circulating after the engine is shut off and the temperature gauge is getting a false reading from hot cooling being stuck in the head. If it running fine going down the road and cruising down the street then you are fine. IF the temperature gauge spikes while driving or idling with the engine on then I would be concerned.

Dylan

What he said.
Usually with an electronic gauge you won't see the spike since it loses power when you shut off the engine. But a mechanical gauge you will notice a temp increase when shut off.

Maybe i missed it, but do you have a 60 or 62, it seems like I"ve read a couple of threads where there can be a short in the 62 and will cause some of the gauges to read falsely

It runs at normal temperature while driving. If I stop it and then come back in five minutes, the temp gauge is at the red line. Is this normal?

I really want to be on top of any overheating issues. It's in the 40s and 50s right now but I'm a little concerned about the impending summer with the 105 - 110 degree days.

It starts fine but runs rough for a bit.

:beer: Chad

If the temp drops quickly after re-starting, then you are fine. As mentionen in another post, the temp spikes after stopping because the coolant stops moving.

Maybe i missed it, but do you have a 60 or 62, it seems like I"ve read a couple of threads where there can be a short in the 62 and will cause some of the gauges to read falsely

This happens because of a ground fault in the guage cluster. It happens while the truck is running...suddenly the temp & fuel guages rocket to the top...different from the original post where it's a function of heat soak while the engine is shut off. Scared the crap out of me when it happened on my 60.

This happens because of a ground fault in the guage cluster. It happens while the truck is running...suddenly the temp & fuel guages rocket to the top...different from the original post where it's a function of heat soak while the engine is shut off. Scared the crap out of me when it happened on my 60.

I have this going on in my 62. It doesn't do it very often, and they immediately go back down. I already knew the cause of the problem, just hasn't bothered me enough yet to mess with fixin it. :grinpimp:

And Zack, yes air in the system can definately cause problems. Do like Cali said and try to burp with the radiator cap high. Pull the front of the truck up on ramps, or park on a hill. If the problem persists, you may need to pressure check your cooling system, maybe also do a "sniff" test. You can get the kit at the auto parts store that will check for exhaust gases in your coolant, which will cause two problems. One, your coolant will get hotter than it should, and it will create air bubbles.

totaly normal. when shut off where is the heat to go? no place!........so the temp rises. when you start up the temp will drop rapidly as the coolent is now moving and cooling.

if it doesnt overheat running, even at idle....................dont' worry about it

does it get hot below say 1200 rpms

if so put another gallon in the RADIATOR not the overflow bottle

I understand they heat up quite a bit once the engine is shut off, but I'd question whether it's "normal" for the temp to spike into the red.

Ducks, what temp are you calling "normal temperature" while driving? If the gauge is running well above the halfway mark in 40 to 50 degree weather, then you're not dissipating enough heat to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom