Overheated while running ac (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I checked a few threads on this but still wanted to put this out to get some feedback. This is the scenerio

RIG: 1994 with 170k miles
New Radiator, New Fan Clutch, New Thermastat

Was stuck in traffic while running the ac for the first time in over a year. I noticed after about 15 minutes of just sitting their idiling with the AC on I started to overheat. I turned off my ac and got back to normal temp. My question is , can I attribute this overheating incident to running the ac to long while idiling? Any feeback is appreciated.

Don't run the A/C while idling in 100 degree LA heat. :flipoff2: Other than that sarcastic ;) remark, bad thermostat? I remember you having overheating issues after your mud bath in Gorman awhile back, but a new rad would have taken care of that, right???

Biff- you get a new cap with that new radiator?

alaskacruiser said:
Biff- you get a new cap with that new radiator?

No I reused my old one, would that make a diffrence?

Biff- potentially in hot weather. It is a pressure cap so it raises the boiling point of the coolant mix. For cheap PM and a possible fix, replace rad cap, hose to overflow, and overflow cap. I recently replaced all as PM. Those parts from CDan are super cheap. I doubt it is the water pump at that mileage, but you never know. Also, check to make sure that new thermostat is working properly.

Brentbba said:
Don't run the A/C while idling in 100 degree LA heat. :flipoff2: Other than that sarcastic ;) remark, bad thermostat? I remember you having overheating issues after your mud bath in Gorman awhile back, but a new rad would have taken care of that, right???

I'll have to check the thermostat.

They will get warm in ~100 degree temperatures with the engine idling and the A/C on. It's worse when they are in gear. I have been considering taking the transmission cooler in the radiator out of the loop and running a thermostaticly controled air-to-oil cooler like the one on my Dodge truck.

Based on the way mine behaves I think it would do the same thing in those conditions. Apart from replacing the rad I can't think of any stock way to cool it down. non stock ways would include a bigger oil cooler.

the possibility that the tranny cooler is the problem is interesting. i don't think the cooler was standard in other markets. in fact, it's a "standard option" here as part of the tow packagae isn't it? did the early poverty pack 80s come without a tranny cooler?

semlin said:
did the early poverty pack 80s come without a tranny cooler?

Hey!

You talkin' to me?? :D

91-92 80's have the same in-radiator cooler and auxilary cooler in front of the rad. 62's only have the in-radiator cooler, and it's a highly recommended mod to add the auxilary one. Never thought about only going with the auxilary...

Curtis

idling in the desert (100+ degrees outside) or in traffic, I haven't noticed the temp raise much if at all... it def. sounds like a problem to me.

Victor, did the temp needle go into the red or did it just move up some?

CJF said:
Hey!

You talkin' to me?? :D

91-92 80's have the same in-radiator cooler and auxilary cooler in front of the rad. 62's only have the in-radiator cooler, and it's a highly recommended mod to add the auxilary one. Never thought about only going with the auxilary...

Curtis

there were poverty pack versions of the fj and fzj80 that are quite rare. the poverty fj80 has no fender flares and steel wheels. the poverty fzj for 93/94 is like an fj80 with a 1fze: no abs, rear drums and a semi floater rear end. I wondered if perhapsone of these did not come with the standard "tow package" which includes the tranny cooler.

FirstToy said:
idling in the desert (100+ degrees outside) or in traffic, I haven't noticed the temp raise much if at all... it def. sounds like a problem to me.

Victor, did the temp needle go into the red or did it just move up some?

It moved up some, but I stopped it when I turned the ac off.

Stock '97 cooling system handled 110F in Henderson without temp. guage moving, A/C cutting out, or aux, temp. guage moving past 212F:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=54422

Mine was a fairly new radiator when that was posted, and it is the OEM 2-row aluminum version. No aux. cooling fan back then, either. I'm with FirstToy- sounds like it might be a problem, unless the 93-94 and 95-97 temp guages are very different.

Biff I am having the xact same problem im in florida and its been very hot here lately. I replaced thermostat and if i drive around town with ac on and sit at a light it wont start to overheat, but if i go off road and i decide to use the ac it starts to run hot. hope you figure it out and then let me in on the secret.

medtro said:
Check to see if timing is retarded. Retarded timing can cause overheating.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though it was the other way around. Timing that's advanced too far causes pre-ignition, or pinging, and raises the engine temperature. It can also create a lean situation as well, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Retarded timing can cause over-heating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom