Overhead control panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I know alot of folks have fabbed up overhead panels for mounting switches and whatnot on, and I'd like to add one to my 62, but I'm not really sure how to tackle it (or if it's even a really good idea to begin with). It'd be nice to have the extra surface area to mount my electric fan controls, and switches for anything else I might add in the future. Any thoughts of a good way to execute this in a wagon? I'd like to have the panel itself hinged so that I can just swing it down if I need to troubleshoot anything, and so I can just pull the hinge pin when I want to modify it in any way. Any thoughts?

I'd try and get one of these...

Just see if you can get the casing, swap out some plexiglass where the altimiter and thermometer were and you've got a cool panel with map lights.

Try AUS or JPN E Bay, or try the international section, they came standard on the HJ61. There are a few 61's that have been parted out in Canada; so your odds may not be that bad...

I was thinking of putting my EGT and boost guage there...and NO, mine is not for sale...
panel 002small.JPG

expat said:
Just see if you can get the casing, swap out some plexiglass where the altimiter and thermometer were and you've got a cool panel with map lights.

Try AUS or JPN E Bay, or try the international section, they came standard on the HJ61. There are a few 61's that have been parted out in Canada; so your odds may not be that bad...

I was thinking of putting my EGT and boost guage there...and NO, mine is not for sale...

Oh damn I like that ideal. Wonder how difficult it'd be to install in my rig...

Wouldn't surprise me if it would just screw in. Although my rig has the high roof on it; it may be different. Although I think Tapage (in Panama) from the International section has one on his "regular" roof. I look into mine in the next few days...

expat said:
Wouldn't surprise me if it would just screw in. Although my rig has the high roof on it; it may be different. Although I think Tapage (in Panama) from the International section has one on his "regular" roof. I look into mine in the next few days...

Yeah I'm not sure if my roof has any provisions for just bolting it in. I'd probably have to pull the headliner back and weld nuts to it or something. I haven't felt around because I didn't want to stretch the headliner, so I could be wrong. Hopefully I am :D

Hi there. I have a 'G' pack HJ61 cruiser and I don't have that panel. I've never seen one either unless they are found in the high roof models.

I made a roof console out of plywood. There are a few console manufacturers in Australia and I made mine to look like one of theirs.
They are easy to mount as you use the rear-view mirror screws, and the interior light screws to mount them.

The hardest part of the design is getting the shape of your inside roof.
I used a piece of cardboard the same length of the console but probably about 10 to 12 inches wide and then cut slits in it so it looked a bit like a large comb. Put this up to the roof and bent each 'finger' of the cardboard until it took the shape of the roof! Then transfered this pattern to the plywood, and designed the rest of the side profile from there!

My design included a different interior light out of another car (large light plus two reading lights).
I allowed an opening at the top of each side so that I could put maps in there. At the front I made provision for fitting the UHF CB radio. That's probably all that needs to go up there.

I have all the plywood section built, but just have to cover it with foam and then vinyl.

I have a HJ61 sahara....my car has the light/sunroof panel but not the drop drown section that the picture has,,,Although i quite like that design!.

Rod, can you give me an idea of what youve made for yours because id be interested in doing the same.

cheers
Darren

Maybe I have it since mine is a VX model... Maybe they're only in JDM vehicles. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom