Overhauling AHC / suspension overhaul. Replacing accumulators and fluid flush. What else should I do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! This post is going to look similar to another post i just did regarding a rack & pinion question. So I apologize in advance if you read that post and now experience some deja vous. Anyhow, I'm hoping for a bit of advice. First off, if this post is in the wrong area, I apologize. I dont have a much experience posting; mostly just reading through others posts. Here's the scoop: I have a stock 06' LX470 with 152k on it. I'm the second owner. Bought it in 2018 with 104k. It'll be used on pavement 99% of the time.

I have a talented friend that is going to help me with the following maintenance this spring: R&R the R&P, tie rod ends, overhaul the AHC with a fluid flush and new accumulators, and new timing belt. I'm replacing my cracked front bumper with an Ironman Classic bumper, but otherwise the rig will remain stock. So here's where I need some advice: When I do the new accumulators R&R and fluid flush; Is there any other suspension improvements that I could/should make? Has anyone done this and made a few tweaks and been happy with the results? Thanks!

Like you I have a largely stock 06' LX470. My research has shown that the AHC system is actually quite resilient as long as you stay on top of fluid flushes. My rig has 230K+ mileage with the original system still working great.

Don't spent money on accumulators until you've gone through getting your AHC dialed in - replacing fluid, checking pressures, torsion bar | height sensor adjustments, then see how many levels of graduation you're getting.

There are a few threads here that you should look at for guidance.

I am interested in this too, I have totally worked over my AHC, all my pressures and heights are pretty close to spec, but I am at 7 graduations which tells me that I am close to needing to replace my accumulators. Wondering if there is anything else I should replace while I am ordering parts and have it on the lift.

Pump? Shocks? any gaskets or lines?

I already have king springs.

I am interested in this too, I have totally worked over my AHC, all my pressures and heights are pretty close to spec, but I am at 7 graduations which tells me that I am close to needing to replace my accumulators. Wondering if there is anything else I should replace while I am ordering parts and have it on the lift.

Pump? Shocks? any gaskets or lines?

I already have king springs.
Rubber bushings (one in the base and two cushions on top of the shocks) are probably the most impactful thing to replace, but they're not necessarily convenient.

The shocks are lifetime components. The action of the shock is performed by the globe (commonly called accumulator).

Thanks all. I haven't performed a fluid flush and I dont have any record that one has been done. My AHC system seems to be working and the ride is good/smooth. I was told by Torfab (respected local LC specialty shop) that 2 of my accumulators are "leaking" which is why I was going to replace all 4 accumulators. After replacing the accumulators i was planning on replacing fluid, checking pressures, adjusting the torsion bar and height sensor adjustments. I decided to tackle this now because I have skilled help.
Sounds like I dont need to mess with the shocks if they are lifetime components, but maybe replace the bushings above and below the shocks. Is it necessary to replace the springs? What about airbag "helper springs"? I've read that some guys have done this as well. Thanks again for the input.

Rubber bushings (one in the base and two cushions on top of the shocks) are probably the most impactful thing to replace, but they're not necessarily convenient.

The shocks are lifetime components. The action of the shock is performed by the globe (commonly called accumulator).
Haha yeah I saw the how-to for replacing those bushings, and if they don't need it I think I'm just going to let them be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom