Overfilled oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I had a brain fart and was not sticking the dip stick in all the way:doh:. when I was checking the oil level. I added two quarts when the dip stick(not the one typing) went all the way in. So I'm about 1.5-2 quarts over the "F" mark on the stick. I am going to change the oil tommorow. I have about a 50 mile round trip tonight. Is it safe to drive. btw its a '78 fj40 2f

nope

drain some oil

you might blow some seals

I've been in chat too much lol

Last edited:
Howdy! I agree about draining some out, as it's not very hard to do, just a bit messy. But, who would this cause damage to any seals? If anything, it will blow a little smoke as the extra oil MAY be high enough to get up to the crank and cause one hell of an oil storm in the block, and that might get some extra oil up on the piston skirts/rings, but not likely. John

Hi All:

I have to say that being 1.5 to 2.0 quarts over-filled on an engine with a 7.5 quart pan capacity is not as a severe an issue as 2 quarts over-filled on any engine with a 4.0 quart pan capacity. It is not ideal for sure, and the best thing to do would be to drain the excess out to close to the "F" mark on the crankcase dipstick. But, I have to wonder if any damage will actually be done.

Good luck!

Alan

OK, I left work before I read these replies, I did not drain any oil. I made the commute with no problems. I did let it idle for about 10 minutes before driving, checking the oil several times and watching the oil pressure. My biggest concern was the crank shaft frothing the oil as it hit it and rendering the oil pump useless. I did not notice any frothing on the stick. I'm not certain, but I would think that it would be hard to blow the seals by overfilling the oil, would'nt the oil just find the easist way out? Like the dip stick tube or the top of the crank case?

Don't bother changing it out, just crack the plug and drain a qt. or two. No biggie.

.... I would think that it would be hard to blow the seals by overfilling the oil, would'nt the oil just find the easist way out? Like the dip stick tube or the top of the crank case?

I did this once, overfilled by ~1.5 qts, and the excess oil blew out the dipstick tube. Huge mess in the engine bay, but no damage otherwise.

Howdy! Extra oil in the engine will not creat extra pressure anywhere. All the crankcase pressure is caused from blowby, compression that passes thru the rings instead of the valves. The PCV system is there to deal with that. No harm, no foul, so drain a little off and your done. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom