overdrive options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to put in a 5 speed but the toyota seems like its a bit much. I have seen used chevy 5 speeds for less and they have the same splines right? so how hard would it be to use a chevy? would it cost any less? If I had the money I would just put in a 2f with the 5 speed tan and transfer. anyone run a chevy or have any ligt to shed?

[quote author=Ethan link=board=1;threadid=13562;start=msg125556#msg125556 date=1080020943]
I have seen used chevy 5 speeds for less and they have the same splines right?
[/quote]

What? What splines are the same that you are talking about?

Are you building a truck starting with a bare frame? Do you not already have an engine? You talk about the cost of a Toyota tranny being a lot, but what do you have for resources(shop/ability/cash/etc.)?

What do you intend to use the vehicle for?

Good luck!

-Steve

I have a 72 40 with a 3 speed. It needs to be able to run on at least 60. the 3 speed isnt doing it so I want to put in a 5 speed. splines to the transfer. I have space to work on it and time. just not tons of cash.

larger tires

larger tires will give a pretty good overdrive although your lower gearing will suffer
you could pick up a toyota four speed pretty cheap too.
If you don't have a lot of money perhaps a Land cruiser wasn't a good choice in vehicle :)

I have no money and I drive an even older cruiser than he does. I love my cruiser and I don't mind driving slower on the highway; I am just too happy to be driving my cruiser to really care too much about the speed. I agree on the bigger tires, that's what I did and I am happy. Although a 5spd would be kick ass. :D

I've got 33's and a 3 spd, and a tired old F and run 70-75 all day long. Even with 31's 60 should not be a problem.
Remember that a chevy 5 speed will be much longer, really too long to put in a 40 without extending the wheelbase.

4 speed obviously is no help ... same 1:1 ratio.
5 speed (Toyota) will help but tranny is expensive (what, about $2500 for everything)
5 speed NV4500 doesn't cost as much but the conversion is labor intensive and conversion parts add up to a lot of $$$. Bolted to an F engine this thing is LONG.
Bigger tires are easy but wheels and tires can also run about $1000 provided there's no lift needed.

another option:
Swap out the rears for some 3.70's ... someone will happily trade with you. 3.70's and a 3 speed are not a good combo for off road but would be fine on highway.

I have 33x9.5x15's and they cost me about $400 new from Big O Tires. You have to negotiate a little. This makes a big diff. With 4.11 gears when the speedometer says 50, I am really going about 62. Bigger tires will give the biggest bang for the smallest buck. You probably could call around and find a used set. I did this to buy my spare and it cost $60 for what looked like a new tire to me.

Perhaps the order of priority for more speed on the freeway should be:

1. Tune up the engine

2. Taller tires (33X9.50 should work fine with your stock 4:11 gears)

3. Change out the diff gears to 3:73 - available from a later model 40

4. Add overdrive or 5 speed with overdrive - if you decide to do this, I would very seriously consider that the H55F is abolutely the best choice for ease of install, suitability, and resale value.

Mike

Ethan-

What five speed tranny, GM or otherwise will have the correct splines for the Toyota 3 speed transfer case? I am not aware of one..I have heard rumors of a clark transmission that is a five speed, and only an inch or so larger than a SM465 Chev four speed, that with adapters could be made to work, but have not ever seen one in use, and do not know of anyone that has one in use...

Good luck!

-Steve

An option I haven't heard yet but would be good but labor intensive. Go with the 3.70s and install an sm420. It would be freewayable, you don't have to stop to shift into 2nd(where you now start, and lower than original low gear. .02

as for the splines I was thinking that if a th350 spline fits a cruiser then a 5 speed would to thinking that a chevy 5spd would use the same trans case as a th350 but I guess I would be wrong as no one seems to know of any gm 5spd that will have same splines. I guess I just need to rebuild the motor and start from there. its old and tired. It sounds like it wants to blow if I run at 60. so I guess I will sell my pos 01 nissan truck to get the money for the cruiser ;) ohh well thanks for the info guys.

Sorry to reasurect a very old thread but I was at classic cruisers yesterday and found a clark 5sp mated to a toyota split case. I was told 1st was 7.1:1 or something similar and 5th was an over drive. It did have an adaptor between the trans and transfer. The input was 10 spline. It came out of a 40 that was getting a SBC conversion. Just thought I'd mention Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom