Overdrive baby! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
whats the cheapest best way to get an overdrive on a 77 2f in an fj40? Long term perposes also. what are my choices and how much are we talkin about here?

35" tires...

I paid $200 for a Fairey overdrive. But they are hard to come by. I can choose when I want overdrive which is one problem with tires.

John

Okie, I don't understand why, if you are trying to make a safe, well running daily driver within a budget of $5000, you are worried about upgraded transmissions.

okie said:
whats the cheapest best way to get an overdrive on a 77 2f in an fj40? Long term perposes also. what are my choices and how much are we talkin about here?
Find someone who wants to put 4.11 gears in their 79-newer Cruiser and trade diffs w/ them.
You would get 3.70 gears almost free!:)

Free is a good thing.

FJ40Jim said:
Find someone who wants to put 4.11 gears in their 79-newer Cruiser and trade diffs w/ them.

Free is a good thing.
I'm putting 3.73's in my daughter's daily driver from a 60 series .... got a smoke'n deal on the axles too :grinpimp:

FJ40Jim said:

Free is a good thing.

Second that plan. If you find you've lost too much of the bottom end, you can swap in an h41 which will more than make up for it.

I recently picked up a fairey over drive, 4 speed xfer and tranny. All bolted together and reday to swap. It going in the FJ55 as soon as I finish all the rust repairs.........Will see how it works.
I think Marks 4wd Adapter makes an overdrive, but form what I understand it pretty spendy.

ranger said:
I recently picked up a fairey over drive, 4 speed xfer and tranny. All bolted together and reday to swap. It going in the FJ55 as soon as I finish all the rust repairs.........Will see how it works.
I think Marks 4wd Adapter makes an overdrive, but form what I understand it pretty spendy.

I didn't think the Fairey would work with the 4 speed. Good to know. I really liked mine when I had my old 3 speed. Pulled it all to go SM465 last year.

troy

How about a Mexican overdrive? This way you can get the best gas milage possible. Can get kinda hard to steer and stop but one hasta sacrifice something, right?

couldn't resist. LMAO

Of course there's always the 5spd option. NV4500 or the toyota H55. Both are kinda expensive conversions, but so is overdrive.

v8 it and change the transmission to something with overdrive. I went with a 5.0 with a built aod and it was cheaper to build the aod than buying most aftermarket overdrives.

i don't think a complete V8 swap is in rachel's budget right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom