Overcharging Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hoping someone here can help me out a bit with an overcharging issue. First off it is a 1976 FJ40 with stock components. It has the altinator with 2 pin plug and battery connection. The regulator is 3 wire type. I have had the altinator checked and it is ok. I replaced the voltage reg with a new electronic one from toyota. I had this checked too and it is fine. I have checked all wiring from the alt to the regulator and it is good. I have tested the plugs and get the right results ( E= ground, IG =13V, etc.) When at idle with everything hooked up I get 17V which I know is too high. If I remove the regulator I get 13V (battery voltage). I don't know what to try next so I hope that is where someone on here can help. Thanks in advance.

Grimace,

I have a dual alternator and battery setup. I had simialr problems with my regulator setup overcharging my batteries. Do you have a part number on the toyota regulator, or even better a picture of the wiring setup?

ben-

I don't have the part number handy ( I am at work) but I know it starts with 280***** anyhow I don't think I can post pics yet I can describe it in full detail as I have spent hours trying to figure it out.

I would take 3 pins and poke them into the insulation (make sure they don't touch each other or anything else) and through each of the three wires AT the voltage ragulator. (right at the regulator, not before the connector). Now measure the voltage between the + wire and the ground wire. If the regulator is not seeing the full 17 volts, look for bad connections, etc. on both the + side and the ground side. If the regulator is seeing the 17 volts, maybe it's not working, or a short on the field side.

Also, I would pull fuses on the lights and other circuits until this is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom