Overbore a late F motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just asking out of curiosity, but what is the maximum anyone has bored the latr '74 (F and a half)? Seems like the only difference is the bore, between the late F and the 2F. Could it be bored to the same as a 2F?

Ed

I've seen 'em 1mm O/S. The catalogs used to show pistons up to 1.5mm.
2F is 4mm larger than F. The cylinder walls would have to be way thick (too thick) in order to allow boring 4mm, and still have good wall thickness remaining.

What would be the point of boring the block dangerously thin, just to get to the stock displacement of a 2F? 2F blocks are thrown away on a regular basis, just build one of them. Oh, and punch the 2F 1 or 1.5mm O/S.
4.4Litres of mighty driving force!

FJ40Jim said:
I've seen 'em 1mm O/S. The catalogs used to show pistons up to 1.5mm.
2F is 4mm larger than F. The cylinder walls would have to be way thick (too thick) in order to allow boring 4mm, and still have good wall thickness remaining.

What would be the point of boring the block dangerously thin, just to get to the stock displacement of a 2F? 2F blocks are thrown away on a regular basis, just build one of them. Oh, and punch the 2F 1 or 1.5mm O/S.

I said I was just curious! I think it is very odd that the the '74 was a one-of-a-kind casting. Not usually the case with any mass-produced motor in a continuing line.

BTW, I pick up the "package" tomorrow. 60 miles closer that previously thought!;)

Ed

Degnol said:
I said I was just curious!
Sorry, didn't mean to sound nasty. It was a rhetorical question on my part also, "What's the point..".
I think it is very odd that the the '74 was a one-of-a-kind casting. Not usually the case with any mass-produced motor in a continuing line.
now I get where you were going w/ the original post.
Yes, had there been more cost accountants involved w/ the Cruiser program at the time, these sort of things wouldn't have happened. Fortunately, cost accountancy didn't begin to affect the Cruiser engineering department 'til many years later.
BTW, I pick up the "package" tomorrow. 60 miles closer that previously thought!;)
Thanks, buddy!:beer:

FJ40Jim said:

ROTFL! Too classic Jim. Some day you've got to publish a list of those!

65swb45 said:
ROTFL! Too classic Jim. Some day you've got to publish a list of those!
I wish I could say that was all mine, but it is actually a quote from the owner's manual in one of the first FJ40's I ever had. It was a 1970 IIRC, so the owner's manual was still written in Engrish.

Anyway, the full paraphrased quote (is that an oxymoron:confused: ) went something like:
"When using of 4 wheel drive low range, a mighty driving force is developed at wheels."

This was back when I actually went wheeling all the time. "It is time for the 'Mighty driving force'" was a war cry heard on the CB quite often.:D

Uh-oh, I think this has fully degraded to chat.:whoops:

Found you some tech Jim. I was forced into spending a half an hour cleaning up the other day after absent mindedly dropping a small spring SOMEWHERE in the shop while walking to the phone!:eek: I eventually found the spring, but not before I came across indisputable proof of "4.4Litres of mighty driving force!"
mighty.JPG

P.S. I think we're safely back in tech!;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom