Overall lengths and double adapting in a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been doing a lot of research lately about the use of a Mercedes OM606 in an FJ60. The idea of a newer turbo diesel that can be completely mechanical is very appealing to me as is the power that it can make. To make this a little more complicated I would like to do this with an automatic behind it, most likely a 4L60E.

So this is where my first concern lies, to make this happen I would have to run an adapter from DieselpumpUK to mate the OM606 to the 4L60E and then run an AA unit to mate the 4L60E to the stock transfer case. Would anyone think that this would be a concern running an adapter on each end of the trans? In theory if both are installed correctly this shouldnt be an issue.

My next thought on this was that with these adapter things would start to get lengthy. I believe the transmission to transfer case adapter is 3-1/2" and then the engine to transmission adapter is 20mm (sorry for mixed units). Now I know that you can move that transfer case back a bit (like when doing an H55 swap) but im curious how far is too far.

An OM606 is roughly 34" from fan to bellhousing mounting surface + 20mm (a hair over 3/4") for the adapter + 30-1/2" for the 4L60E and transfer case adapter = 65-1/4" from the front of engine to the mounting face of the transfer case

Can anyone on here tell me if this overall length would be an issue? I would ideally like to know these same directions but for a 3FE with an H55 to compare, if anyone has those dimensions please let me know.

And all comments and recommendations welcome. But I want this to be an auto so my better half can drive it easily so just mounting to the H55 isnt an option. Appreciate the help!

You’re not the first. Someone on here sells an adapter for this. Do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom