Over the Mountain Tour 05 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClemsonCruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looks like we have enough UC guys interested in going to make this happen. The general plan for now is to meet in Clemson around 1 on friday afternoon to convoy up to Tellico. We hope to camp at either the trail head of #5 or where the flordia boys camp during GSMTR. Either site is right by the river which will be a must in August. If we arrive with enough time on friday afternoon and anyone is up for it we can make a short run then. Otherwise we will just spend all day Sat. wheeling and pack up early sunday morning and head back to the Upstate. We will be running trails 4,5,6 which are easy to moderate trails you don't need to be locked to make these trails, but I would say it would be good to atleast have 31's. It should be rather easy wheeling nothing hardcore, so anyone in the club can come and have fun. On a side note Marshall our designated cook;) has said he will be in attendence. So anyone that was lucky enough to enjoy his killer BBQ at the Pig-a-thon knows that is a plus!! And our VP David, has said he will also becoming and he has a hot shower setup in his cruiser another plus!! So let's get a good group together and go have one last summer blast.

Again the dates are August 13, 14, 15 more details will come as time nears

Post up if you plan on attending.

The Tenative list so far:
JP
David
Alan
Marshall
Alex
Matt

I will be trailering in case we have a breakdown, (nah!) I may take the senic route to avoid trail one. Still considering a trailer route.

Hard40 said:
I will be trailering in case we have a breakdown, (nah!) I may take the senic route to avoid trail one. Still considering a trailer route.

Alan,

I have made trail 1 numerous times with my trailer in tow. Most recently, this past GSMTR (Both ways!) and with a slight mental impairment on the way out :grinpimp:

Your Chevy/My chevy

Capt. Jim said:
Alan,

I have made trail 1 numerous times with my trailer in tow. Most recently, this past GSMTR (Both ways!) and with a slight mental impairment on the way out :grinpimp:
But you have a "Little" more truck than I. Think 5.2 if tongue heavy will make it?

Hard40 said:
But you have a "Little" more truck than I. Think 5.2 if tongue heavy will make it?

I believe your truck is 5.3 litre. I have done it with my Z-71, which was a 5.3. I also have done it with my 2 wheel drive chevy. The hard part is making the sharp turns and keeping the tongue jack off the road. This past trip, I removed my bolt-on tongue jack. All I did was scrape the dovetail (rear edge) of the trailer once or twice. You should have no problem. My trailer is 16'. I know yours is much beefier than mine, and perhaps longer. If it is longer, it may be a bit more difficult.....

I just got off work
14 hours down the drain
and I have school in the morning.

Right now I have one thing to say........I'm excited!!!! I can't wait to expereince Tellico and after that, I get to go and pick up my first 40. I'm stoked as hell for the month of august to get here!!!!!!

Wont make this trip but I will be ready for Gray Rock so enjoy your shakedown run and I will se yall in Oct.

Trailering across 1 isnt exactly my favorite thing in the world but it isnt bad. Just get used to the trailer geting the crap beat out of it. 1 was better GSMTR than it was in January but there are still 2 swithcbacks that are a little trciky. they are uphill going towards murphy and i needed 4wd in my F150 to make it out.

ClemsonCruiser said:
Post up if you plan on attending.

The Tenative list so far:
JP
David
Alan
Marshall
Alex
Matt

You guys open to participants not in your club? As you may or may not know, we have an old, inactive club in NC and a new club with lots of interest but no real trips planned yet (dates anyway).

I have wanted to get over to Tellico for a while now and your group's trip sounds fun. Tellico isn't on our list any time soon anyway.

If there's room and no issue with non-clubbers participating, I may consider heading that way.

Andy

Andy you are more than welcome to come, we have some members in NC as well. We are all cruiser heads so the more the better. You are welcome to come convoy with us to Tellico, I don't know where you are in NC but it shouldn't be that far of a drive down I-85 to clemson. We have a good group of guys going, if you decide to come you will have a blast......

If you have any questions about the trip feel free to call me at 864-654-3810

So come join us,
JP

The more the merrier...

I'd say! Please join us at Tellico. It should be a blast!
After hours around the campfire with this crowd should
be ALMOST as much fun as the trails. ;)
Be forewarned! 4,5 and 6 while the "stocker" trails at
Upper Tellico can be a little rough. They are in a near
constant state of change. It's good to go in a group to
be prepared for the unexpected.
I look forward to seeing you NC dudes! Hehe...ya'll
may want to join UC once you party with us!

ClemsonCruiser said:
Andy you are more than welcome to come, we have some members in NC as well. We are all cruiser heads so the more the better. You are welcome to come convoy with us to Tellico, I don't know where you are in NC but it shouldn't be that far of a drive down I-85 to clemson. We have a good group of guys going, if you decide to come you will have a blast......

If you have any questions about the trip feel free to call me at 864-654-3810

So come join us,
JP

Thanks for the info JP. I'll put it on the calendar.

Don't know where I'll be coming from. I live in Charlotte and if I'm coming solo, I'll meet you guys up there.

My brother lives in Greenville and we've been trying to get a wheeling trip together for a while now so I may swing down and pick him up. Again, we could meet you from Greenville or just head down to Clemson and join the convoy.

Either way, I'll figure the details out as it gets closer.

Andy

Gundy said:
I'd say! Please join us at Tellico. It should be a blast!
After hours around the campfire with this crowd should
be ALMOST as much fun as the trails. ;)
Be forewarned! 4,5 and 6 while the "stocker" trails at
Upper Tellico can be a little rough. They are in a near
constant state of change. It's good to go in a group to
be prepared for the unexpected.
I look forward to seeing you NC dudes! Hehe...ya'll
may want to join UC once you party with us!

I guess I need to do some digging and see if front and rear lockers are absolutely necessary or not. Definitely changes the nature of the "road" time depending on the rig.

What are most of you guys wheeling, 40's?

Yeah should be mostly 40's and 60 or 62, last time I was up in Tellico (january) we ran 4, 5, 6 and there where several people with open diffs. that didn't have trouble. But if your 40 is built up some what I would take it, but that is just because I love wheeling in 40's take the top off and lay the winshield down...........it's the only way to go;)

You'll be fine

in a 40 with open diffs. I was being careful to warn you
in case you brought an 80 and didn't want scratches.
I've done these trails in a 40 with 31s and open diffs.
You'll be fine. An 80 could do the stock trails without
diff locks and probably NOT get a scratch.
Hehe...CYA....covering my arse....I just wouldn't want to
have an 80s dings or scratches on my conscience.
LOL....I've had more than one wheeling 80 get trail pin stripes
following 40s. Those dang 80s rock with diff locks. They are
just longer and wider than a 40.
In closing.....I didn't mean to frighten you into not attending.
PLEASE COME! You'll have a great time! 40 or 80, locked or not.
None of the trails we PLAN to do will be difficult enough to
require lockers. This is more of an easy fun outing.

Thanks for the additional info guys. I tend to be the same way - err on the side of caution and certainly not looking to beat up my rigs with no reason.

That being said, both my 40 and 80 have some trail "character". ;)

The 40 would be more than capable - it's ARB locked front and rear with SOA and 37 MTR's with an Orion t-case, winch, on board air, CB, etc. It's just that 12+ hours of road time I don't look forward to that much. I don't own a trailer, so it would have to be driven.

The 80, I think, would be fine. It's pretty much stock but with the CDL will go where you point it - even without F & R lockers. Clearance will be my biggest issue but I've run every trail at Uwharrie with it (except Daniel) and it's been fine.

Just trying to better understand the conditions and what's needed.

Thanks!! :cheers:

cruiser4life said:
The 40 would be more than capable - it's ARB locked front and rear with SOA and 37 MTR's with an Orion t-case, winch, on board air, CB, etc. It's just that 12+ hours of road time I don't look forward to that much. I don't own a trailer, so it would have to be driven.

yeah that 40 might be overkill for what we will be running, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in action.............;)

Thanks for the info and the warm reception guys. You seem to have a great, interactive club. Heck, I guess it doesn't hurt to be a member of multiple clubs. Maybe I'll have to join up!!

Looking forward to Tellico. If I can get my sliders ordered, delivered and installed before the trip I'd have some protection on the 80's cats anyway. That and some new shoes would be ideal.

Either way, looks to be a heckuva good time. If I do bring the 80 and someone needs or wants to ride on the trails (i.e. rig is down or not ready), I'll have plenty of room. I guess that's one of the advantages of sissy wagons as Todd calls them.

Andy

yeah, those sissy wagons are a lot roomier and fancy.............. they still can wheel with the best of them though. I look forward to meeting you and your sissy wagon;)

JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom