over drive question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I did some searches about the fairey od unit and from what I read it sounds like that unit mounts to the rear of transfer case? And it makes it where you can't use the pto. Mine is in front of the transmission and the from pto shaft is hooked up. Am I not understanding this or do I have some other unit. Thank you

Oh yea it is a three speed trans.

Post up pictures of what you are talking about....

2011-05-03_08-52-51_89.jpg

here ia a picture. I will try to take better ones if need be. also i plan to pull the trans and transfer case and od unit to replace seals and gaskets and check the bearings. Any tips for when i pull they or things to look at when it is out . Thanks

PICS ADDED So I pulled out the trans on my new to me 66 fj and I think this is a ranger over drive. Any one know for sure it this is a ranger unit from the early seventies. What is your opinion of this unit. Can I still get parts for it if need be. Thanks brian
2011-05-07_10-39-40_220.jpg
2011-05-07_10-39-32_850.jpg
2011-05-07_10-38-07_666.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using IH8MUD

Wow that looks like the oldest Ranger I've ever seen. The old old cast iron case and pan don't look the same as a "modern" Ranger III, but the size and shifter look the same as newer aluminum case units. Anxious to hear if others have seem these old cases before.

Bob in Co

This is a newer model Ranger III. Advance adapters have service available manuals online. Don't know about that model.

Where did the OD shifter install, I like the looks of that. For that matter one could easilly convert a PTO shifter to a nice OD shifter. I need to come up with something better than what came with it.

Bob in CO
40 drvline.jpg

Here it is with shift lever on it.
2011-05-07_18-36-53_845.jpg
2011-05-07_18-37-36_953.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom