Outside Temp Sensor ??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed what looks to be an Outside Temp Sensor on my 97 FJZ80 located behind the front bumber on the pass. side just infront of the AC evaporator coil. Does anyone know what this is for sure?? :confused:

Automatic Climate Control

Can I connect a digital readout of outside temp to it?

General said:
I just noticed what looks to be an Outside Temp Sensor on my 97 FJZ80 located behind the front bumber on the pass. side just infront of the AC evaporator coil. Does anyone know what this is for sure?? :confused:
You mean those white circle on the pics right?

What years come with the outside sensor? And where is there a read out/output?

wb1948 said:
What years come with the outside sensor? And where is there a read out/output?

I believe the sensor is only present on models with the automatic climate control. These include the '95-97 40th Anniversary Landcruiser, Collector's Edition Landcruiser (?), and Lexus LX450 models.

Yep. Mine is a Collector's Ed. It would be nice to use it for an outdoor temp indicator in conjunction with the climate control.

I want to do this too................. Must be a tie-in for a readout?

It know it would be possible but it may be hard to get it right without having some epmerical sample data from actual testing. What you would need to do is start by connecting a multimeter across the leads of the sensor and set it to read resistance (ohms) then you would want to have a way of heating it up or cooling it down. Next thing you would need is another multimeter with a temp probe on it (or some other accurate method of knowing the true temp at the exact same spot). Then you could take down some data points of the resistance at each temp (more is better, but a minimum of three) and then do a linear curve fit and use the equation of that line to predict the rest of your data points.

You may be able to find an already existing temp readout that takes an external sensor and modify it, or you could build your own circuit and make it all up as you go. If you decided to use the stock sensor, you can find the wires inside the cab at the climate control computer, this would certainly be cleaner than stringing your own all the way from the front bumper. BTW, you could also F something up if you tap into these wires, even though all you are doing is taking data from the sensor it could affect the overall performance of it. It really boils down to how sensitive it is in the first place.

What would be really cool is to find the rear view mirror from a car that had the temp readout built in. I know you could find them in 2000 ish suburban s but there may be better, at leat classier, examples. Then you could just build a little circuit to make them play nice with each other. It would be clean, that's for sure. The cool thing about the Suburban mirror is you could snag a compass out of the same neat package.

-Ryan

p.s. Just found this
mirror/temp guage

Nice mirror but $250-$300? that is half of a lift

RavenTai said:
Do they have a fahrenheit version?
I see the fahrenheit version of the analog gauge but not the digital. Guess you gotta ask VDO directly.

Rich said:
It is used by the auto climate control. No display of temp.

Why the outside temp sensor? I thought when I set the Auto Temp it was supposed to be tied to the inside temp.

Automatic strategy is determined based on difference between actual inside temp (measured at several places), desired inside temp, and outside temp. The fan speed, use of inside or outside air, etc vary, depending on what the current mix of conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom