Outside air temp - cheap mod

Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
No clue why, but I like to have a gauge inside the car that shows the outside air temp. I know it shouldn't really matter, but for whatever reason, just something I like. I looked all over for a wireless, cheap gauge that I could put in the car and didn't find anything that I was happy with. So.... decided to go super cheap and have been really happy with these. They are little battery operated temp and humidity gauges. I bought them on Amazon for like $15 for a set of 4 of them. So, they're basically disposable. Put some super adhesive double sided tape on one and fixed it to the side view mirror and voila. The battery has lasted a few weeks already on this one. And they're surprisingly accurate. Amazon product
IMG_0350.jpg

I also like having outdoor temp, looked around and ended up doing this

Popped a blank, had to trim a very small lip of plastic in the slot, fits snug & flush. Connected power w/ fuse tap, grounded nearby, ran wires to desired locations.

Cheap, no batteries, looks almost factory, and has remained accurate the two years I’ve had it.

Trimmed interior wire & used excess to extend exterior - just enough, but easy to splice in more.

Colors look a little weird on the phone, but it’s nice and clear in person.

BE3A7162-BF35-403F-B0DC-7EFC154DE01C.jpeg

Last edited:
The little stick on guys are cute!
I went the same route as SpencerAK, but put it in the center console
Z4KRYx5l.jpg

Irish Reiver

SILVER Star
Where do you guys locate the sensor? I have tried 4 or 5 different places but none hold a steady temp once the truck is idling.

Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Where do you guys locate the sensor? I have tried 4 or 5 different places but none hold a steady temp once the truck is idling.
Uh, right there on the side view mirror. ;). You guys are all show offs. I spent $15 and took less than 60 seconds for the install without having to cut any holes, so I'm feeling pretty good about my decision.

Haha, no hole cutting 😜 I just wanted one inside that runs off the battery when key is on.

I have my exterior up in the front bumper cavity (stock bumper) run through firewall and along the side. It does slowly climb when stopped at lights or when I run in a store, but goes down quickly once moving again. Not sure where I’d put it if I spent much time stopped or real slow on a trail. Interior goes behind dash over to the climate buttons, peeking out under bottom of trim by the cup holder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom