output seal leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The output seal on my 82 FJ60 transfer case is leaking. Do I have to drop the transfer case to fix this ?

Last edited:
The output seal on the transmission is the same as the input seal on the transfer case. This seal is actually installed on the forward facing side of the transfer case. so, no, you don not have to remove the transmission, but you do have to disassemble the transfer case. This is the only way to replace that intermediate seal. The transmission output shaft does extend well into the transfer case. The transfer case can be disassembled and reassembled from under the truck with the transmission installed.

If you have leaks on the transfer case output shafts (either front or rear) these seal can be replaced without disassembling the transfer case.

I think the transmission output seal/transfer input seal is the one with the red arrow.

1675729488721.png

That seal leaks on every high mileage cruiser. And after you go to all the trouble to replace it — it can start leaking again in less than 20k miles — then you’re back to square one again with all the prior effort gone to waste.

Since a new seal is going to leak again eventually anyway, maybe just get used to the fact that checking the fluid levels periodically in both cases and adjusting as needed is part of FJ60 ownership.
It’s not that much trouble keeping on top of it. It’s definitely a lot of trouble replacing it.

4BB05DF3-3341-4965-BB26-8D7D7F1B1D33.jpeg

Sorry guys I meant the output shaft on the transfer case . I corrected my original post . It’s dripping right before the drive shaft yoke .

Look up at the top of this page for the Resources tab. Follow that to the body and chassis manual for the FJ60. You will find procedures for fixing output shaft leaks in the transfer case section

Does anyone happen to know the part number for this seal ? What is the correct name for this seal . I'm trying to find it to order it but it seems like all I can find is the front seal.

-
Does anyone happen to know the part number for this seal ? What is the correct name for this seal . I'm trying to find it to order it but it seems like all I can find is the front seal.
The website below has every part number for every part on every Toyota ever made - with drawings.
Take some time exploring it.
Here’s a link to your transfer case parts.
(It looks like the transfer output shaft oil seal is PN#
90311-48003)

-

The website below has every part number for every part on every Toyota ever made - with drawings.
Take some time exploring it.
Here’s a link to your transfer case parts.
(It looks like the transfer output shaft oil seal is PN#
90311-48003)

Thank You sir !!!! This is VERY helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom