Outboard motor help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the situation: The boat has a 91 Yamaha 200hp outboard. About a month ago, I had my boat out at a lake, and left it parked on the beach in a secluded cove with the motor down just enough to keep the boat straight.

The forecast was clear for the evening, so I wasn't worried. Of course that night we had freakish 70mph winds, which came from the direction directly aft (from behind, for those of you nautically challenged :flipoff2: ). The boat got pushed about 3 feet onto the shore, with the entire lower end of the outboard submerged in the sand.

I pulled the boat out of the water (never started it), and sand was packed into the center of the prop, which also acts and the exhaust for the engine. There was also a little bit of sand around the water intakes. I was able to remove all the sand from inside the prop, and flushed the water intakes.

So...does anyone think that sand was able to find it's way into the lower unit gears? I drained the lower unit gear oil, and didn't find anything. But I'm still worried about ruining the gears. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Brandon

I think you are fine.

put muffles on the intake and run it for a little bit to see if everything is working like it should.

NOT in lower unit gears

That is a sealed system or else it would always be full of water.

I would be mildly concerned about the impeller to pump the water to cool the engine. Usually these are not too hard to change and should be done every couple of years in any case because when they are left in the same position (like in winter storage) the rubber tends to take the shape it was left in and not be 100% efficient. And if you suck in a lot of sand by dragging your skeg in the bottom they can be damaged.

I would give it a really good water flush and put the ear muffs on it and insure that it is pumping. You will get a better idea of that with the engine just in the water and not having a hose push the water through it so you could pull it down to the ramp (after a good flush) and just be sure that is peeing water. If it isn't change it out.

I also doubt that any sand entered the gearcase. If your gear oil was milky when you drained it, that is indicative of water enetring, which may or may not have been from your incident above.

The rubber impeller in your water pump might get damaged if you suck a lot of sand through it, particularly if the impeller is more than one year old.

Keep your eye out for overheating. I suspect you will be fine. CHange the water pump out when you get a chance if it is older than 1 year old.

Agree with the others. You might try to pull the plugs and just crank the engine to flush it nice and easy while collecting the water--if you see any sand coming out then you should probably PM the impeller. Kinda like catching kidney stones ;p

Thanks guys. I know a lot more about the engine than the lower unit, so I just wanted to be sure. I'll pull the impeller and take a look.

And if you're wondering why I didn't just throw a stern anchor to keep the boat straight - earlier that day my :princess: realized that when coving out, you tie the anchor off BEFORE throwing it in the water...

:doh:

Your lower unit will be fine. I would not take a chance w/the water pump. A Yamaha is about the best outboard there is but like all others they don't do well if overheated. There just not has forgiving as other engines. Sand will tear up the impeller by cutting groves into it reducing it's output and it's an easy replacement. I would also recommend removing the thermostats and checking to make sure small pieces of mud/sand/stone are not in it limiting water flow.

All the water in the ocean won't sink a ship :)
Unless it gets in ;)

Alot of guys here run with broken skegs, you get tired of welding them back on everytime you hit a coral head or an oyster bar. If it's pissing fine and the oil looks good, I wouldn't worry too much.

Anchor rope

bderks said:
Thanks guys. I know a lot more about the engine than the lower unit, so I just wanted to be sure. I'll pull the impeller and take a look.

And if you're wondering why I didn't just throw a stern anchor to keep the boat straight - earlier that day my :princess: realized that when coving out, you tie the anchor off BEFORE throwing it in the water...

:doh:
Went flounder fishing with my buddy to his favorite spot, trolling around trying to find it and he hooks a rope, pulls it in and gets excited because it's the new anchor he threw in last weekend without tieing off the rope, what are the odds? We get to the "honey hole" with the lost anchor securley tied in,and he throws in his #2 new anchor and we watch as the end of the rope disappears under water,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Impellor should be only concern unless you have other lower unit problems, gear oil clean=good to go.

I have run my boat through tons of mud and sand. Although I know it isnt good for it, proper maintenance reveales neccessary repairs. I would flush it with the stats open and like was said earlier, run it on the trailer while backed down the ramp to check for pressure. If you can see less than half of the crab pot sticking out of the water, 55mph is ok. At least thats what I go by :flipoff2:

Check the water pump and impeller, if there is milky gear oil comming out of lower unit then replace O gasket. That should take care of your problems. If you need any over-the-phone mechanics give my dealership service center a call: (631)-661-5366 tell them Ron sent ya. We are Yamaha/Honda/Johnson/Evinrude/Merc/Volo certified mechs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom