Outboard CV joint dust seal? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

I'm preparing to do a cv rebuild on my 2007 LX470. The boot kit only comes with boots, grease, clamps, and snap rings. I want to replace some of the other non-reusable parts mentioned in the FSM. I have the seals that go in the front diff, and the inboard dust covers.

I'm having trouble finding a part number for the outboard joint shaft's dust seal, circled in red here:

1jUNIvT.png

Does anyone know how to find this part?

Thanks

That's correct. Just changed one on Friday!

Thanks for confirming! Could I ask how you installed the new dust seal to the shaft? The FSM mentions using a hydraulic press and an SST, which isn't an option for me. I'm wondering if it will be possible to tap it on with hammers, brass punches, blocks of wood, etc.

I'm doing this job tomorrow, and considering just leaving the old dust seal. I haven't figured out a good way to install the new one without a press + SST, and I'm afraid that once I get the old one off, I won't be able to get the new one on.

I considered cutting a circular hole in a piece of wood such that the rim of the hole seats onto the metal lip of the seal, and then using a length of ~3 inch diameter metal pipe with a cap to symmetrically pound on the piece of wood with a hammer. How bad of an idea is this? I feel like there may be some reliable/creative solution here that I'm not thinking of...

I had my spindle off. I changed the needle bearings the dust seal protects. Popped it out and installed it with a seal driver. I have all the sst but you could tap it in with something round, similar in size.

No need to replace that Dust Seal unless damaged. When I did replace, I used old seal and plastic mallet, was a bit of PITA but doable. But found myself hitting the rubber seal portion, did not see any damage but not good idea. Trick on outboard would be to cut hole just the right size to pass rubber portion through and catch metal of seal. That would should work well.

I've cut piece of wood with hole cutter for the inboard Dust Cover, work really well. May work well on outboard Dust Seal as well.
Dust cover front drive shaft with HM seal seat tool.JPG

Last edited:
I had my spindle off. I changed the needle bearings the dust seal protects. Popped it out and installed it with a seal driver. I have all the sst but you could tap it in with something round, similar in size.
Sure you aren't speak about oil seal? I goes in back of knuckle to protect axle, needle bearing & bushing. The Dust seal goes on drive shaft to protect the oil seal.
Outboard front drive shaft Dust Seal:
DS FT Drive shaft seal, Knuckle, wheel bearing & axle hub 019.JPG

Back of steering Knuckle axle oil seal, axle needle bearing & bushing: Use old seal, flat pice of wood and/or plastic mallet to seat.
DS Axle hub, wheel bearing and knuckle Final cleaning 252.JPG

To those who have replaced the needle bearings: I have new needle bearings and bushings on the way. What's the best way to remove and replace?

I've never had to replace them, but perhaps I can help. What are your concerns or questions?

Edited: will you do with knuckle in or removed?

Last edited:
Do we have a confirmation on the part number for the outboard CV dust seal? I think the part 2001LC shows above is the oil seal (isn't that correct?).

I ordered a reman OEM CV drive shaft for the driver's side and the dust seal has been bent up in shipping. Was planning to order up a new one, but have had trouble locating the part #.

Any help would on the part # would be much appreciated - thanks!

First off let me point out: The metal portion of the Dust seal can be straighten. I've done this many times.

As for the Dust Seal part # 90304-A0001 I pictured above for OB Front Drive Shaft (CV):

Names of parts from Toyota, sometimes are different then the FSM or parts diagrams show.

When I went to my Toyota Dealer parts guy, who's has never failed me in 14 years. He said "they did not have a part number for the Dust Seal of the outboard front drive shaft on the 100 series anylonger". I found the part # 90304-A0001 on-line, then gave to him. He said that part # is for a different model Toyota. We order it anyway and it worked.

I can't say it's exactly the same, as at the time I did not have an OEM comparison onhand. The front drive shaft I was installing on was aftermarket. Aftermarket are suppose to be made to exact specification of OEM. I used it and it seem to work just fine, for the ~2k miles I drove it. Unfortunately, I don't have the rig anylonger to pull apart and inspect.

It was very tight fit, so be parpard. You may want to rent a seal install kit.

CV Joint Rebuild

Last edited:
The dust seal 90304-A0001 is for a 4runner. The steel lip portion is formed slightly differently, but it should do a reasonable job to keep dust out, maybe not as good a seal as the original (unavailable) part though.

For comparison the outer seal is the 4 runner part:

20109426-2414-4568-97DD-E48B18DBCA9C.jpeg
83E113E7-F9AA-4390-A2CB-8672BFE0A671.jpeg

Last edited:
F1324FEF-7239-4C5D-868D-3D49DAD8CE9A.jpeg
We talked this over a couple of months ago when I received one of my new cv’s with shipping damage. I didnt end up using the seal because I didnt want to change incorrect part on a brand new $400 CV. Also dealer sent a new replacement CV in a couple days (packed much better the second time around).

If you look closley at the differences between the two seals, the steel retainer on the 4-runner seal has a different profile, and wont fit over the knuckle oil seal as the correct part does and leaves a small gap leaving the rubber lip exposed. In the short run will that matter much, maybe- maybe not. In dirt & mud maybe, on street use maybe not. But if thats the only option then make do.

I do recall that they replaced and repacked to your spec. Didn't recall you picking up the seal and was wondering.

Last edited:
Guys - thanks for the input. I ordered the dust seal (A90304-A0001) and need to pick it up. However, I think I'll spend some time trying to straighten out the bent one on the reman OEM CV (abuck, it's not nearly as bad as yours was - makes me a little hopeful!).

I'll post up and let you know the outcome. Thanks!

Guys - thanks for the input. I ordered the dust seal (A90304-A0001) and need to pick it up. However, I think I'll spend some time trying to straighten out the bent one on the reman OEM CV (abuck, it's not nearly as bad as yours was - makes me a little hopeful!).

I'll post up and let you know the outcome. Thanks!
Years later! Did this ever work out for you. 2022- the stealership only offers that part with the whole $200 cv kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom