Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is some of the most insightful advice.

Thanks gents.
As someone who has an ever growing number of projects in his life, I can appreciate where you’re at. I also think that most of the dirty work on this project is done, and if you decide to stick it out you will really enjoy the end result, even if that doesn’t come for a while.

My advice is to do nothing. Sit on it, do something else you enjoy (or enjoy doing nothing at all) for a while and come back when you’re fresh. If you still aren’t into it, then consider letting it go.

It's never been about not enjoying working on these trucks. That is something I love to do. I have too many things pulling at me from all directions. Whomever said the 40's are the busiest years of a man's life, was right. It's a matter of not having time to complete the project. Then again, it is garaged and out of the weather. I am really just burnt out. Whomever said it above, couldn't have said it better. My yard was getting out of hand, junk everywhere. It was starting to stress me out. Let's see if I can get this done by the end of the year. That's the time frame I have given myself. This thing sitting means a lot of mechanicals need to be resorted. I will see where it takes me.

I sympathize. Priorities sure change as we age. Still, if you're thinking of parting out, I'd love to buy your frame lol.

The current frame is not horrible, I fixed it in the past. I even did the dreaded rear channel replacement.
Once it's out, I'll give it a good bead of weld, after I grind the old ones I did while lying under the truck, to make it perfect and then it's yours.
Couple hundred bucks will do.
We can talk about this later once I get started.

The current frame is not horrible, I fixed it in the past. I even did the dreaded rear channel replacement.
Once it's out, I'll give it a good bead of weld, after I grind the old ones I did while lying under the truck, to make it perfect and then it's yours.
Couple hundred bucks will do.
We can talk about this later once I get started.
This would be amazing. Please keep me posted.

Ok gents, ladies. I started tearing her down in preparation for the frame swap. Lots of work needs doing.
Got the front clip off already, took a couple hours to do that. Wish I had a lift for the divorce. Fudge, gotta do it in the dirt, as always.

20230428_124642.jpg

20230428_124648.jpg

20230428_151520.jpg

Git the painted pa els wrapped in body shop film to protect them best I can. I am hopefully going to have the rolling chassis out in the n3xt couple days.

Dash is out, again! AC system is out. Will buy new expansion valve and pressure switch to refresh, tidying up to make sure all will work as it ahould. Got a crack free dash pad that will go on after. Lots and lots of work.

Jerry rigged some scaffold to raise the body. Used the screw jack to raise it off the frame. Worked a charm. Stripped the motor some, got the turbo off in one piece.

20230527_133642.jpg

Motor mounts have to be moved forward one inch, the transmission mounts have to move up by a staggering 14.75 inches. That powder coat job's about to get ruined in some places.
Sigh.

Thanks, gotta get her back on the road this summer.... Perhaps by fall, if I'm lucky, by winter, lol.

Now, motor's ready to come off. I am toying with the idea of an engine rebuild again. This time blueprinting everything and taking my time. Also want to rebuild tcase and tranny. Got some new spiders laying around for the drive shafts too.
Question is, should the turbo go back on, or leave it be NA so she run forever? I sourced a 12ht exhaust manifold a ways back to get the setup to look cleaner.
Hmmmmm

Time for a 12HT swap? (Sorry, I had to...)

12hts are spensive! Got a spare 2h in the garage, they are good motors imo. Parts for my 2016 rebuilt were sourced by @Beno. He did mention engine Australia as a good source. My last rebuild, while done right, was done in haste. I should have blue printed everything, changed the pistons, etc. I did beb's conrod bearings, rehoned, new rockers, rings etc. Learned a few things, wanted to do it again on my spare motor, but since this one is out, might as well. Still remains to be seen if I am to go that route again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom