Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you could go back in time and give yourself advice before starting this c-channel stuff... what would you have yourself do differently?

Would you instead try to fab something new in place rather than go the bolt-in route?

Gotta be honest here, I thought of welding in a piece of channel. But the bolts add a tremendous amount of force that is actually needed, and I assume that that is the reason that Toyota went the rivet route to begin with. With that said, let's not forget the all important spring perch. That sucker has to either be bolted or riveted to the frame. The outer frame member isn't thick enough and in my opinion it would bend/ deform under heavy flexing, which is the reason why the inner channels were part of the frame design. I also thought of boxing the frame in that area but then the fuel tank would not have fit anymore. Plus, that also messes with the spare tire carrier/ cross member. I have no use for it since I have a Kaymar rear bumper but I think that cross member adds a bit of stiffening value as well.
Summing up, I don't think I would do anything differently. The channel replacements really take the headache out of trying to reinvent the wheel. It's a solution the a problem that we didn't have to solve on our own. I am glad that someone else, namely @TRAIL TAILOR did all the headscratchin' for us and all we have to do is just roll up our sleeves and simply remove and replace the existing rotten ones.
Now that process is just a whole other story!
I cheated a bit by welding the spring perches to the frame before cutting/ removing the rivets. I just didn't want to remove the springs anymore. Done that twice this year and it just gets old, lol.

Seems like you could have constructed the new channel in place, welded it in place, then put bolts in too if that floated your boat.

The pre-drilled holes already look like a pain to me. Better to just put some flat plate in there and drill through the whole business?

End of the day though, it was the deconstruction that took all the time? Can you think of a way to avoid having to take all the rivets out?

I'm asking for a friend...

The deconstruction took most of the time, yes. Removing the rivets too! Some came out easily, some needed to be heated and bangged upon with a drift and a 5lb-er. Putting the new channel in was easy. I am saying I found it easier to have a ready to go product than to try and construct something myself.
Once the old is out, making something that fits in there should be easy enough. Just bear in mind that the outter frame channel will get distorted as u work around trying to pry the old piece out. Having to bolt the new piece in brought everything back together nicely. U can weld in plate or a new channel and then drill it to allow for re-bolting of the spring perch. I think that the spring perch at a minimum may have to be bolted through.

Little by little, getting this puzzle put together. It takes some deconstriction before assembly takes place. I cut this chunk out of my spare truck and I had to take it apart into pieces so that I can make it work. I am so close to buttoning up the drivers side, I can see it already!!
20200614_193828.jpg
20200614_193822.jpg

Yep, I am already happy to have cleaned out this side. Little bit more and then on to the passenger side...then doors and lift gate.
The small patches should be easier though.

Oh, thanks Onur, I know man, welding sheet metal is not to bad, the grinding part is what sucks.

And so I say good bye to the drivers side and hello to the passenger side...for now anyway.
20200717_162337.jpg
20200717_162330.jpg
20200717_162319.jpg

Don't know if I should do body work or not. Never done it before so not sure what to expect. Can't be more difficult than welding in new metal.
Right now I am just aiming for getting rid of that obvious rust.
I am pleased with the results!

Looking good, make sure and seam seal the inner well's so no water gets in, also try and undercoat the back of the inner metal. Body work isn't that bad, just a lot of sanding, Let me know if ya want some tips. 👍

I would love some tips. I have the seam sealer ready to go.
Will seal every little nook and cranny i can find.

Got some more done, patched up the seat bracket on the pass side..
20200718_080116.jpg

And then started cutting up the mess.
I thought it was not as bad as the drivers side but I was wrong.
At least I am mentaly prepared to get this done.
Some pics...
20200718_080129.jpg
20200718_080144.jpg
20200718_092132.jpg
20200718_092153.jpg

Yes, I throw a light behind on the other side and look from all angles. Trying to make sure them holes aren't there..
Lots of work man, lots...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom