Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a giant misconception that oil leak became! So much for me getting it sorted. While I did achieve a lot, such as adding a screw on braided line for the turbo feed, and managing to regain the factory oil pressure gauge functionality by switching to a 4 way T, I am highly dissapointed that the truck is still leaking oil. It looks as though the rear main is the culprit after all. Pfffttt, now the tranny has to come off. I guess I have my work cut out for me....

I’ve got my share of oil leaks that I’m working on at the moment. I think everything is leaking except for the rear main seal! Anyway love the turbo install and the colour. Here’s a pic of an Australian 2h 5 speed I just got on the road. Luckily I live in the bush where we have conditional registration and don’t have to have our vehicles checked for road worthiness,

22F928B7-E60E-4A1C-BBB4-33BC09CE41D2.jpeg

A233038C-8259-40AE-BF3F-3A9B31EFEBB4.jpeg

1849C371-B666-41A9-B4FC-80340FD0FE93.jpeg

Nice truck bud! looks like mine, heheh. The rear main blew because I pressurized the crank case via valve cover breather hose that got kinked while driving. I'll have it fixed in no time. Just need a free weekend to tackle it.

Alright, so little by little these last few days i was able to tackle the tranny removal. I want to say that it isn't easy doing it on yer back and alone. But that said, i dont think it was too difficult really. I am more woried about putting it back in tbh.

I’ve got my share of oil leaks that I’m working on at the moment. I think everything is leaking except for the rear main seal! Anyway love the turbo install and the colour. Here’s a pic of an Australian 2h 5 speed I just got on the road. Luckily I live in the bush where we have conditional registration and don’t have to have our vehicles checked for road worthiness,

View attachment 1927703

View attachment 1927710

View attachment 1927711
I’m the same here in rural Oregon. Went to switch title from gas to diesel and gave my address. She waved the title change fee of $98 and was good to go. No inspection or questions. Was in and gone like a fart in the wind.:rofl:

Get some help to put the bastard back in. I can tell you even with a tranny jack and slings it’s always the last 2 inch that gives you all the grief and thats before you’ve even got under the old girl 😂

I have a couple volunteers who say they are psyched to help, hehe. i have some long studs i plan on using to line the tranny up and perhaps use nuts to bring it in one inch at a time

As you can see in the pics, the truck is a mess underneath. Oil got in every crevasse as I drove it about on a few occasions with the oil leak. I guess that helps with the rust inhibition but damn, I need to start cleaning, chopping, cutting and welding on this machine soon. I see other people's threads and I get pretty jealous of the work they do. I just have no time to work on my truck...

Replaced the seal this evening. I found it missing a chunk from the sealing lip. I assume thats what the leak was about.

Again, the phone won't upload pictures. Ill try tomorrow from my computer.
EDIT
OK, in front of a computer. Here is a picture of the seal as I found it. I honestly do not know why the seal broke like that.
20190401_210125.jpg

The missing lip in the top of the picture is what I found. The bottom deformation is where i stuck the tool to pry it out. Had a new Toyota seal (courtesy of @beno) installed and now I am beginning to put it back together.

Last edited:
Clutch back in, bell housing back in, repairing some wiring that was brittle and broke. I think ill have the tranny back in tomorrow evening. Getting closer to having it back together, hopefully by the weekend.

Right, so she is fixed and back on the road! What a feeling it is to be driving it again! I do have a front caliper acting up, tsk tsk, disuse kills these things. Now onto more work.. pics and video to follow.
One thing i want to mention, getting the tranny back on was a breeze, it may have taken me less than 5 min to bolt that thing back up onto the engine. That transmission jack was really useful ....

Do you have standard pistons and rings in your rig? How many miles on it and what boost/egt do you target? About to get mine done.

I have standard pistons, with new toyo rings, beb's, mains etc. I rebuilt this engine back in 2015. I am running in the 10 psi range and mileage on the rebuild is about 15k, 5 of which with the turbo.

I have done something about the turbo sticking out through the hood. While I think that is the coolest thing ever, I got tired of water intrusion, so I put on a scoop. This may seem like heresy to some but I take function over form anyway...
20190407_091557.jpg
20190407_091609.jpg
20190407_135750.jpg
20190407_135754.jpg
20190407_135834.jpg

And since it's back on the road, next in line is to swap the old man emu lift I have, rears first, as she's squatting big time. Chassis repair is also on the list. I will probably remove the rear axle entirely to make room for the chassis repair, and then upon reinstall, I will put in my OME's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom