Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They work great! Great perseverance! What is your coating plan after all this? POR?
I am not sure bout coating yet. The truck will go in for paint at a friend's shop. Low budget paint job. As far as below, I have some product from Eastwood that I will use to paint over the welded areas and then I will use automotive sealant over that to seal it all up.
Problem is once you find rust in these things they can never be saved but rather have their life prolonged.
Ideally, I would look for a rust free cab (actively looking still) and do a swap. I just got tired of the way it looked all Swiss cheese like.

Jfyi, I tried those low melt solder fittings and had issues with them over a year or so. The solder doesn't hold up, especially the blue and yellow colored ones. Had to take them all out and properly solder the connections.

Jfyi, I tried those low melt solder fittings and had issues with them over a year or so. The solder doesn't hold up, especially the blue and yellow colored ones. Had to take them all out and properly solder the connections.
I only used reds. I guess if I have any issues, I know where to look. Thanks for the heads up.

The rear is now welded. Moving to the pass side.

20210819_193740.jpg

20210819_193735.jpg

20210819_193729.jpg

20210819_193718.jpg

I took the truck out of the garage and backed it in so I can have access to the passenger side, now that the rear has been sorted.
It started right up after months of sitting. All in all, it has been down since April of 2019. Only been started once since then. I have no batteries in the truck so I have to jump it with 2 vehicles to get it going..
This rust removal is taking way longer than I want it to! By the time I will be done, it will have rusted again in the areas I already repaired...hahahaha.

Last two pieces needed for the body have been cut. Need to weld. Hopefully done this weekend. Then onto sorting out the doors.
So close...so close....
Pics to follow.

Finally, home stretch. Last puzzle pieces and then moving on to the doors.

20210926_152605.jpg

20210926_152625.jpg

Today, after weeks of nothing, I decided to pull the radiator and install my brand new one. Took it all apart and got the shroud and bracketry ready for some paint. Used a grinder with a wire brush to remove flaking paint and rust and gave it a good thoroughl clean with some denatured alcohol. Once this is handled, I have only got to replace the front springs and the driveshaft spiders. Those two items are the only to do mechanicals.

20220102_145635.jpg

20220102_165612.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom