Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Part of the reason why I am doing this my self. No one really wants to to take on it either...
The advantage here is at least a minimum of a few good years without rust worries...

Ok fellas, hunting season is over! Pffttt, got only three deer this season. Will continue on the car from here on out.
Hopefully I will be done by spring so I can paint.
Cheers., merry Christmas!!

Yesterday, the 1st of January of 2021, I started working on the truck, began the year good, hell yeah!! Got the fusible link fixed, as it had broken, Jerry rigged a diesel jug under there cause there is no tank installed and got them rear wheels on.
Today, after 8 months I started her up and pulled her out of the garage to get her backed in, so I can tackle the rust on the other side.
Restarting where I left off in August.
See here...

20210102_105113.jpg

20210102_105123.jpg

20210102_105133.jpg

20210102_105144.jpg

20210102_105151.jpg

I did a bit of work this evening. Stripped the doors of all hardware and glass. Gotta do some repairs on these as well.

20210112_180944.jpg

20210112_180949.jpg

20210112_185722.jpg

20210112_193258.jpg

20210112_193834.jpg

Someone really went to town on this truck with the sound deadening. I placed the doors outside overnight, so they can freeze. Stripping that sound deadener be easier once frozen solid.

Thats a nice patch piece. 👍
Man, so much work, that wheel well patch took four hours to fit and weld in!
Now that I have this brand new quarter patch, I am hoping things will progress faster.

Wow you're sure doing a good job.

One thing, I don't know why no one ever mentions it... there's a tool called a die grinder? They are nowhere to be found in any local store but is completely fantastic for fine grinding. I bought it to help with some wooden window rot repair but is fantastic for cleaning up welds. Much more precise and controllable than an angle grinder. Its the tool I most needed for the past 20 years but I didn't know it existed.

I got a variable speed bosch and then later a used low rpm metabo. I use some cheap chinese carbide burrs. Is much much better than an angle grinder for taking down welds. The bosch at high speed with a tiny spherical burr is amazing with metal, both on panel and in tight spots. The low rpm unit I can use with stones for a fine finish. If I could have only one it'd be that bosch, terrific tool, so smooth.

The one downside of a die grinder is the amazing amount of protection you need to wear. Hot fast metal splinters warrant even more protection than welding, is raw evil.

Hey, thanks for the input. I will look into that!
I looked into what you'd mentioned above. Them die grinders are just supersized Dremels! I am going to procure one of these just to make my life easier!

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the input. I will look into that!
I looked into what you'd mentioned above. Them die grinders are just supersized Dremels! I am going to procure one of these just to make my life easier!
Big dremel: exactly. But really it is a case where power makes *all* the difference.

I started buying a dremel brand oscillating saw, it was a total joke, bogged down and overheated just starting to remove rotted wood. Returned and got the highly regarded fein and same deal, was underpowered even for removing rotten wood so returned it too. Ordered the bosch die grinder and some cheap burrs and it made short work of everything. My burrs can literally cut through a file, they laugh at wood. Very very nice for smoothing raised welds.

Die grinder is to dremel as a jack hammer is to a plastic fisher-price jack hammer. You need to get decent tungsten carbide burrs, the chinese set I got on amazon for $24 have held up really well, I thought I'd have worn out some by now but they seem to last well for me. I am careful not to let them get hot, they get hot you will melt the carbide and they'll quickly die.

But... its a powerful motor in a small package. Be extremely careful and be prepared and dressed for burr to explode at any moment. I wear goggles and a face shield and all my rawhide welding clothes. You only put it into a corner once and then you'll have some respect. Rule is to use the lowest speed that will cut nicely. Be careful of the extended reach burrs because if you press hard they bend and they'll self destruct.

I once used the die grinder to casually hone down a raised section of dried filler in a window sill. Didn't wear my welding gloves... that afternoon my hands were all red and puffy from all the high speed micro splinters. Never even saw the splinters but my hands were sure angry and this was just filler.

Just saying: I don't think I've ever been around such a sick malicious tool as a die grinder. Its very good but its also very bad.

There is so much work that needs doing! Finally got on the vehicle again. As I was poking about I realized that the passenger side is way worse than the drivers side. I wish I could just find a rust free cab somewhere. Luckily, my parts truck has good structural metal. So it's like putting together a puzzle. Cut here, replace with metal from over there and so on. Tedious damn work.
Sigh...

20210407_181238.jpg

20210407_181241.jpg

20210407_184234.jpg

20210407_184244.jpg

20210407_184259.jpg

The fight goes on...must get this back on the road. It's now been 2 years to the day since I actually drove this truck on a regular basis. It sat a while waiting for rear main seal replacement, then once that was done i got it back on the road for a minute, then I started on the rust and here we are today.

OK, more progress this morning. Got the inner fender lip welded. Small steps towards the finish line.

20210417_080306.jpg

20210417_080314.jpg

20210417_080322.jpg

20210417_081109.jpg

Great progress. I bet your proud of what you have done!!! Awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom