Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great! Nice score! I bet that was a fun trip flying out and driving it home.

Looks great! Nice score! I bet that was a fun trip flying out and driving it home.
Road trips are a thing of beauty. I'd do it again in an instant

Last edited:
Plan on getting it entirely rust free, full paint job, lift, lockers front and back, snorkel(already have one), roof rack with rtt, full tune up with new injectors, perhaps a turbo down the line and that's about it. It's already partly there as far as it being what I want it to be. Basically an expedition style rig for camping and long distance trips.
Sounds like a plan. ;) Those are pretty sluggish without turbo, you´ll want it sooner or later. :hillbilly:

HJ is a lot of fun, congratulations big time, injectors are no need if it does not smoke, should be fine for 200k more, mine is at 250k kilometers and when it starts smoking at acceleration above 3000rpm it needs new oil and it loves 20w50, no smoke, fast oil pressure, silent.
Upgrading is cool but there is a lot to do to make it like factory new again: All fluids/filters and rust-search (...:(), glowplugs, axle u-joints, brakes&lines, fuel tank removal&replace rusted U-fuel line, replace rusted rear C-channels, birfs?
Maybe drive a few thousand kilometers first, that is just why I kept mine driving all the time in-between welding and fixes: no time for downtime. The exhaust seems not original , if it is before 1985 it does not have a flex piece in the front but the rear bent in it I dont have but maybe it is original and mine imitation? this is running engine 650 rpm:
file.php

exhaust installation:, rust stabbing and punching my hj = :wrench: fixed.
file.php

Last edited:
Fi
HJ is a lot of fun, congratulations big time, injectors are no need if it does not smoke, should be fine for 200k more, mine is at 250k kilometers and when it starts smoking at acceleration above 3000rpm it needs new oil and it loves 20w50, no smoke, fast oil pressure, silent.
Upgrading is cool but there is a lot to do to make it like factory new again: All fluids/filters and rust-search (...:(), glowplugs, axle u-joints, brakes&lines, fuel tank removal&replace rusted U-fuel line, replace rusted rear C-channels, birfs?
Maybe drive a few thousand kilometers first, that is just why I kept mine driving all the time in-between welding and fixes: no time for downtime. The exhaust seems not original , if it is before 1985 it does not have a flex piece in the front but the rear bent in it I dont have but maybe it is original and mine imitation? this is running engine 650 rpm:
file.php

exhaust installation:, rust stabbing and punching my hj = :wrench: fixed.
file.php
First of thanks for the advice. I've watched your thread since you started it. I love these diesels. My truck does smoke under load (black smoke) so I assume over fueling, injectors and the like. Will start working things out as I progress. Right now I really need a clutch, as she sleeps a little in 4th.

Super nice man. Congrats! Let us know what kind of mpg you get.
Thanks bud. I've averaged 16 mpg on the trip home from NM. I know these trucks should get close to 20 if properly maintained.

Awesome find man and from one of the finest states in the nation, NM. Two ideas for rust prevention that I think are the best approach, while it's summer go and get the underside sandblasted. Down here it runs about 600 bucks for the entire underside, then get POR15 and under coat every square inch of that belly. Buddy uses a spray gun and works well getting into the crevices, and then a sponge brush everywhere else. Then come winter I would take a jug of bar oil and put it in a sprayer and coat the bottom just for that extra measure, rather have the salt stick to the oil than the body. Have fun with the build!

We've got a club member also up your way in VT, his screen name is like vtcruiser. He's got a 2h also and is very mechanically inclined, in fact his was originally a 2f and he did the engine swap and all to the 2h. Good Luck

Last edited:
Sweet! Congrats.

Good purchase mate, a 2H is for life and as far as I'm concerned the most reliable motor on the face of the earth.

Awesome find man and from one of the finest states in the nation, NM. Two ideas for rust prevention that I think are the best approach, while it's summer go and get the underside sandblasted. Down here it runs about 600 bucks for the entire underside, then get POR15 and under coat every square inch of that belly. Buddy uses a spray gun and works well getting into the crevices, and then a sponge brush everywhere else. Then come winter I would take a jug of bar oil and put it in a sprayer and coat the bottom just for that extra measure, rather have the salt stick to the oil than the body. Have fun with the build!

We've got a club member also up your way in VT, his screen name is like vtcruiser. He's got a 2h also and is very mechanically inclined, in fact his was originally a 2f and he did the engine swap and all to the 2h. Good Luck
awesome. thanks for the advice. I found issues with the truck. I am fixing them as I go. As far as the rust, i have a plan. i will follow your advice as the underbody coating goes. I will try to keep the truck garaged in the winter as well. the 2H is a beast of a motor. Runs beautifully but leaks some oil. I found that the rear main is bad. The clutch is also shot, so as i fix that i will also do the rear main seal. Other than that this beast is awesome

Good purchase mate, a 2H is for life and as far as I'm concerned the most reliable motor on the face of the earth.
barely know this engine and im already impressed!

Congrats! I would avoid at ALL costs driving that truck in the winter. I live in NJ and I know first hand how much salt is used on the NYS Thruway and associated roads. You mention a garage. The garage is good as long as it stays there. Taking it out in the salt then driving into a garage is even worse.
If there is truly no other option (cheap rusty civic) then I suggest the place that I use for my DD vehicles. The shop does oil spray, just like Krown in Canada. They are the US dealer for Krown. They are in Dolgeville NY

http://www.carwell.com/rustcopshop.htm

Zack

Congrats! I would avoid at ALL costs driving that truck in the winter. I live in NJ and I know first hand how much salt is used on the NYS Thruway and associated roads. You mention a garage. The garage is good as long as it stays there. Taking it out in the salt then driving into a garage is even worse.
If there is truly no other option (cheap rusty civic) then I suggest the place that I use for my DD vehicles. The shop does oil spray, just like Krown in Canada. They are the US dealer for Krown. They are in Dolgeville NY

http://www.carwell.com/rustcopshop.htm

Zack
This is perfect. I will check them out. I have a DD vehicle, I just found that the only way to get to work on some really bad days in winter was to drive my cruiser. Now 2 winters in my previous 60, on the NY roads did take a toll on the truck. I will do my best to keep it garaged in winter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom