Ouray trip Aug 6th - Aug 10th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
It's time to head up to Ouray again folks. As of now, the plan is to base camp out of 4J+j+1 CG starting on the night of Aug 6th - Aug 10th. I reserved site #8 hill side. All hillside tent spots from # 1 - #6 have Elec + Water. Their phone # (970) 325-4418, I spoke to Jill.

Pics and stuff from 2013 thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ouray-camping-wheeling-trip-july-24-28th.736958/page-3

Copy/paste from my other Ouray camp thread from last 2012:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be towing the Kamparoo on this trip as in previous years. Campground owner's name is Jill and she's very nice on the phone. They don't have a website so you'll need to call and reserve sites. We'll be paying $24/night with no hookups or water. Pets are allowed at this CG so we'll be bringing Riley with us.

This CG is walking distance from downtown Ouray and has the usual amenities. The Ouray swimming pool that's fed by the hot springs is also nearby. In the past, we'd let the kids swim after returning from a trail run.

We'll be making day runs on various trails is my guess. We'll check out the town of Silverton as well. Chances are that it may rain up there so bring appropriate camping and clothing gear.

In the past, we usually ate lunch on the trail and made it back to the camp site for dinner. The location of this CG makes it easier to eat out or cook in.

There are lots of Hotels, Motels and B&Bs in Ouray. There is also a FS campground less than five miles away. Ouray Colorado :: Amphitheater Campground.

The temps should be decent in the day time and colder at night time. If we're on a trail and the clouds move in, we'll probably turn around and head back out. I don't want to be on the trails at high elevations while visibility slowly diminishes. Lots of accidents happened this way in the past.

Post up if you're interested in joining us. The wheeling up there is not severe so a stocker will do just fine. Really, all you need is a low range for some of the super steep hills.

Headcount:

Vince (1)
Maynard (2)
Jon+1? (we can always hope........)
Ali (2)
Steve+Justin(2)

Last edited:
i have sites 6 and 7 for the 7-10, might add the 6th if schedules allow.

i think we'll be taking the new 4runner so it will be stocker trails for us.

can't wait!

Got my camp site reserved! Looking forward to this trip!

It's time to head up to Ouray again folks. As of now, the plan is to base camp out of 4J+j+1 CG starting on the night of Aug 6th - Aug 10th. I reserved site #8 hill side. All hillside tent spots from # 1 - #6 have Elec + Water. Their phone # (970) 325-4418, I spoke to Jill.

Pics and stuff from 2013 thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ouray-camping-wheeling-trip-july-24-28th.736958/page-3

Copy/paste from my other Ouray camp thread from last 2012:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be towing the Kamparoo on this trip as in previous years. Campground owner's name is Jill and she's very nice on the phone. They don't have a website so you'll need to call and reserve sites. We'll be paying $24/night with no hookups or water. Pets are allowed at this CG so we'll be bringing Riley with us.

This CG is walking distance from downtown Ouray and has the usual amenities. The Ouray swimming pool that's fed by the hot springs is also nearby. In the past, we'd let the kids swim after returning from a trail run.

We'll be making day runs on various trails is my guess. We'll check out the town of Silverton as well. Chances are that it may rain up there so bring appropriate camping and clothing gear.

In the past, we usually ate lunch on the trail and made it back to the camp site for dinner. The location of this CG makes it easier to eat out or cook in.

There are lots of Hotels, Motels and B&Bs in Ouray. There is also a FS campground less than five miles away. Ouray Colorado :: Amphitheater Campground.

The temps should be decent in the day time and colder at night time. If we're on a trail and the clouds move in, we'll probably turn around and head back out. I don't want to be on the trails at high elevations while visibility slowly diminishes. Lots of accidents happened this way in the past.

Post up if you're interested in joining us. The wheeling up there is not severe so a stocker will do just fine. Really, all you need is a low range for some of the super steep hills.

Howdy! Going to be up there around Aug 4-9 this year with about 6 80 series. Maybe we can try to catch up with you guys in the campground. I think we are all staying in town at hotels/motels. We are planning on doing all the usual suspects, like Ophir, Black Bear, Pokipsie, Engineer, etc. Got any super neat secret places to go that are not in every darn guide book? John

Inkpot,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It'd be great to get the group together, if we can. Our CG is middle of town so we can stage close by before heading out on the trails.

Inkpot,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It'd be great to get the group together, if we can. Our CG is middle of town so we can stage close by before heading out on the trails.

Kool! We'll keep in touch. Couple of us are heading out to Silver City/Lordsburg area for Memorial day weekend. Anyone have helpful hints on good places to go wander around? TIA John

Donde esta la 80??

Inquiring minds want to know.

still have it, but losing some love, at least for highway use :worms:. The new 4R trail is such a nice ride dragging the camper, etc, if i'm not doing anything silly it is hard to pass up.

Keep in mind during your travels that 550 between Silverton and Ouray had a huge rock slide ove the winter. They only open the road for a short time each day. Talked to a road worker today, who stated the current crew is headed to work on the massive mudslides farther north, so, no idea when 550 will be back in the game.

Either find out the windows when the road is open or plan on wheeling around the closure.

Good luck.

G

Good info Graham, thank you. Hoping your family can pop up for the day like last year.

looks like work has steamrolled this trip for me... likely have a reserved spot with electric in the hillside up for grabs. :(

Things are starting to open up with the warmer weather.

714f2bb0d49940fdfcb4b2ec9e80c745.jpg

c1f95bcb5d5faffe723e942ea4dade6d.jpg

bb8444f2e79a9614b05a3ab626f6a7a9.jpg

7fe649c47221c2f03030f31bcc6a3775.jpg

Beautiful country up there! It's spring at the end of June.

Red Mountain Pass has been open for a couple weeks. Rockslide area is secured and stable (so the engineers say). I will try to meet-up with you guys.

Keep in mind during your travels that 550 between Silverton and Ouray had a huge rock slide ove the winter. They only open the road for a short time each day. Talked to a road worker today, who stated the current crew is headed to work on the massive mudslides farther north, so, no idea when 550 will be back in the game.

Either find out the windows when the road is open or plan on wheeling around the closure.

Good luck.

G

looks like work has steamrolled this trip for me... likely have a reserved spot with electric in the hillside up for grabs. :(

I need a tent site John. Do you still have one available and for what dates?

I need a tent site John. Do you still have one available and for what dates?
Yup Justin and I are taking a spot and he still has the spot with the hook ups...should be for the dates listed

Great... I'll take the tent spot with the hook ups though I don't have anything to hook up. There are no tent sites left for those dates and I forgot to call for reservations.

Updated the head count

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom