OUCH! - Rearended this morning! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Just got rearended this morning in stop/go traffic on the freeway.  I was stopped and a '95 4runner w/o his front bumper wasn't paying attention.  Fortunately, very little damage to my beast.  Center of rear bumper that is metal has two circular impressions from his bumper.  Hard to tell if the entire bumper is  pushed in or not.  A little coffee spill in the cabin, none on me.  Guy is a service tech at Power Toyota in Irvine, CA and offered to replace bumper himself and get the bumper at his employee cost.  He seemed nice enough, but don't know if I want to trust him in case there is unseen damage when the bumper comes off.  I'm going to have one or two other places check out damage as well.  First time the beast has ever been hit at any speed.  D@#N!  Worst part is that if I replace the bumper, I'll lose my TLCA sticker that I put on!  

Cdan - is the rear bumper one piece or several?  It looks on visual inspection (not underneath) that only the center metal piece has any damage.  

Hardly needs replacing, I am just fanatical about the condition of my vehicles.  Some folks have commented on my '94 being new.  I laugh and tell them it's a '94 with 111K on her.  Gotta love the Zaino show car polishes I use.  No abrasives at all, just a beautiful optical shine.  Yea Junk, mines not a beater.

TIA for any info on the rear bumper.

I hear you Brent on the Zaino -- I just put my 3rd coat of Z5 on last night and the shine is almost embarrassing -- it's good stuff --

-- good luck with your bumper -- you're right, that does suck --

eric

Brent,

The center metal section is NOT a bumper. It is the REAR FRAME CROSSMEMBER. It is welded in. 51209-60111, it sells for $405.93 and you don't just "swap it out". Be careful about letting him "do that". He may not even be aware that it is the crossmember, big surprise for him when he rolls under there on his creeper :eek: I would take it to a good body shop and ask them what they would do,repair or replace.

Of course Christo's rear bumper/ tire carrier assy would cover it up nicely :G

How's yer neck? ::) My wife got her car smacked in the back, not too badly, it tweaked her neck. Took her a while to get over it.......

&nbsp:Dan

Cdan,

I knew I could count on you for expert advice.  THANKS!  Learned something as well.  I had intended on a couple of body shops looking at it anyway.  May do nothing - don't want to loose the TLCA sticker  :D, and it's barely noticable until you are about five feet away or have it pointed out.  I just know it's there - and that's the real issue.

Will check out Christo's, but I'm in and out of that rear end constantly, so functionality is important.  

Neck is just a little sore. We'll have to wait and see what it's like when I wake up tomorrow morning. It really was a low speed impact. I trust your wife is ok now?

Thanks again Dan.

Brent,

>> Gotta love the Zaino show car polishes I use. <<

Pristine gets a Zaino treatment 2 or 3 times a year. Too bad it costs so much.

You can get another TLCA sticker. Since you are the proud original owner, those small dents will bug you forever. Sorry to hear about it but I'm glad nobody was injured.

-B-

Brent,

Thanks for asking, she's fine now. It didn't bother her at first, it took about 2 or 3 days before it got to her. She took a few trips to the bone popper to get lined back up.

Would a new TLCA sticker(carefully positioned) do the job? :dunno:

Brentbba - hey, just glad you're ok. Getting hit is never fun, but would hate to get bad news about someone on the board.

Wax? &nbsp:Don't worry - we'll get your truck into beaterhood yet :D Seriously, nothing wrong with the look of a nice non-beater - but now I'll have to come back and eventually modify my post. :D

I would definitely not let him touch it as was mentioned. For the price he'd pay at his dealer, etc, just a little more (which I'm sure he'll agree to ) you can get a real nice from Christo. If you don't want the swingarm to deal with, I think he sells them without too and this would look sweet plus give you more protection if hit again or drag it over something.

Glad you're ok.

I'd go to several shops and get estimates.  The estimates will vary quite a bit, especially considering that the labor will involve cutting and welding.  Give him all of the estimates and tell him you will settle for cash and use the number on one of the smaller estimates.  

A friend backed into my first car and destroyed my DS front fender.  We settled like this and it definately worked out in his favor.  The estimates were from ~$600-~$2000.  He handed me 7 Franklins and I got it fixed.  

With the cash you could have, you could likely afford a Slee rear bumper.  They run about $1k without the carrier.

I wish someone would rearend my truck so that I could get a new bumper. :tear:

Cdan,

LOL on the stickers - yes two more well positioned TLCA round stickers or IH8MUD stickers (hint, hint Woody) would cover the two very small circular creases in the metal. Looking at the dust marks on the bumper that is next to the metal crossmember, it looks like it was only pushed in less than 1/4 inch. The 4runner did not have a front bumper on, so there were two circular pieces that were what hit me square on the crossmember. I guess anywhere else from your description and there would have been substantially more damage. No shock absorbtion however. Leaning toward not doing anything at this point unless there's hidden damage that bodyshop may find.

RE the back - I am going to give it a few days like your wife.

Looked at Christo's stuff - beautiful and out of my league right now. We all just took a 20% pay cut with the company I'm the Controller for. Out looking again. :p

Thanks guys!

Rogue,

Be careful what you ask for..........The I 15 corridor from SLC to Provo is a ZOO.... :ugh:  It may help to post a sign that says "hit me here" :G

Brent, be sure you got his INS stuff and his agent knows. If you need the bone popper HIS billfold should treat...... 8)

Cdan,

Oh yea - got all his info and an apology for hitting me! Hope I don't need it. I'm not the type to fake something to extract cash from insurance co's.

Dan,

Is there a pn for that sign that says "hit me here"?

Brent,

Good, glad you got it. I assumed that you would only use it if you had to. I didn't think you would abuse it. :G

Rogue I think it's a OU812

Hey Brent, I believe I still have an extra TCLA sticker (with backing, to boot) if you'd like it. Hit me offline with your address and I'll throw it in the mail for you.

Tucson,

I'll pm you shortly-thanks.

Cdan - Visited two Toyota recommended body shops on the way to work today. One correctly identified the rear crossmember. The second (and the one that the guy hit me works for) identified it as 'panel below gate outer at a price of $295.64 and has an add on for clearcoat. WTF?? Time for paint labor as well. &nbsp:Don't know if this guy knew what he was looking at. First guy uses the Mitchell system, which I know is one of the widely used repair estimating systems. Both estimates over $700 total with labor. Means I've got to report the accident to DMV here in CA. One more to visit at lunch to a third body shop. Four days without the cruiser adds another couple of hundred for a rental. One also recommended an alignment as the frame was hit. He's also the guy that correctly identified the crossmember and said they would check the frame itself. Total will probably exceed $1K for a 5mph tap on the bumper.

What a PITA!

Take the G and get a Christo bumper without the carrier :G

Easy choice :D Only your hair dresser will know about the scratch under it. ::)

-H- is right, his crossmember/bumper is spotless.  It was always his receiver hitch that hit...!   :p

H,

LOL, I'd only want to do both bumpers and I don't have the extra $$$ for the front as well. Going to leave everything stock. I do like the look of Slee's bumpers tho!

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Chicken......... :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom