OUCH! NEWBIE needs electrical help ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have only had my 97 80 about 3 weeks. I finished my J spring kit this morning and the battery had died. My buddy that was helping my crossed the jumper cables while mumoing and now all i get is the engine turning over. I have already disconnected the battery and then hooked it back up to try and reset but nothing still......what now......Its my DD so i am kinda in a bind.

thanks in advance for your help.

Check fuses, (at least your engine is turning over).
If there is a fusible link at the battery check that as well. (would not be on the very thick cable going to the starter.)
Good luck.

Mike,

You probably fried the fuse link at the positive terminal of the battery. It is the smaller set of wires attached to the positive terminal lug and it goes thru the hole in the battery box out to a black plastic block and a grey plug. Hopefully it let go before the engine ECU got zapped.

Don't feel so bad Mike. If you want to see a real muck up, look at the thread for the bearing race I put in backwards... :'(

Tom

Mike,
As Bailey said check fuses. There is a second fuse panel under the hood on the drivers side (US), at least on a 97, that also has fuses. One fuse in there is an ignition fuse. If it blows the engine will still turn over but not start. I could tell you a funny story (now) about that fuse and having to get pulled through Customs by a friend but won't go there now. Good luck!
Bill

I got it figured out

It was my line from my dist. cap to my coil had gotten knocked off (and the brace that holds it on busted) while i was doing the shocks on my lift kit. It just so happens that the doors were left open overnight and the battery died. I checked fuses and disconected that battery, thinking all was lost i stared into the engine bay. 20 minutes prior i thought i was the man for busting out my new coils and shocks in a 4 hours. after staring for a while i saw the wire laying there. I hooked it back on and it fired right up.

thanks for the input though. i guess these kind of things happen to us all.

MIke,

>> It was my line from my dist. cap to my coil had gotten knocked off <<
>> (and the brace that holds it on busted) while i was doing the shocks <<
>> on my lift kit. <<

Same thing happened when I put on the OME L-shocks except I knew the plastic holder was busted.

Try George's LED's to keep from running down the battery with an open door.

-B-

Sickboy, I have learned that problem is easy to overlook. Luckily for you ??? I am in a story telling mood today, so I'll elaborate. Returning from class to the big remote campus parking lot late a "few" years ago I noticed my roommate's 66 barracuda parked near mine unlocked. Feeling "clever" :banana: I popped his hood and disconnected the coil lead and stuck a note in the hole that read "ha ha ha". I didn't see him that night and the next morning I had early class and he was still in bed. That evening when I got home there was nothing in my room at all except the note in the middle of the floor. All furniture, everything I owned in the apartment had moved into the back yard. Turned out he was out on a promising date at the campus pub until 1 am and then walked her back to the car for a ride home. It was raining and the parking lot is far from the pub so he was pushing his luck. Then he thought he could fix it while she sat there. He couldn't and she left. He stayed until 4 am trying to figure out the problem and had killed the battery by the time he noticed the note so then he had to go find a campus cowboy for a jump start.

Beowulf - hip me to George's LED's - whuzzat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom