OTMT August 18-21 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the Mountain Tour is quickly approaching and I was asked to get this posted up. Due to the flooding last year the plans changed and we did not make it to the usual spot on day 3. I'll repost last years post below. Also, there was confusion about last years camp site on Thursday. Someone with more info than me, please chime in.

This year we will be going back to a similar trip we did in 2018.

Current layout.

Day 1 Thursday

Meet at the Fires Creek campground
Dropped Pin
goo.gl

35°05'17.3"N 83°52'01.0"W

goo.gl
goo.gl

This is a first come camp site big enough for all the trucks and hopefully won’t be busy on a Thursday. If it is busy we will use Sandy Ford as a backup plan.
Dropped pin
Near 5033-4571 Sandy Ford Rd, Clayton, GA 30525
goo.gl

34°51'36.6"N 83°14'50.3"W

goo.gl
goo.gl

Day 2 Friday

Head over to Jocassee Gorges State Park in NC and camp for the night down on the river. The entrance is here.
Dropped pin
Near Transylvania County, NC
goo.gl

35°05'19.0"N 82°57'06.0"W

goo.gl
goo.gl

The park closes at 10 so if you can’t get in by then you will have to wait till the next day. The location is the beginning of the trail. It’s about 2 miles in to a crossroads where you can only turn right. Then another 2-3 miles down to the river. We should be at the river.

Day 3 Saturday

Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway to our spot we have been going to for many years. There will also be hikers on this trail as well. Many of them are not prepared to see a vehicle in this area. I ask that you are courteous to them by trying to give them room to pass. Most will step off the trail and let you pass. It’s easier for us and them. Just be nice. The last thing we need is to make waves. And you don’t want to be that guy.

Meals.
The club will be doing a potluck style dinner Saturday so plan to bring something to share.

Please note these trails are all capable in a stock land cruiser. That being said things can happen. Please make sure you are prepared. A fire extinguisher is a must. I suggest to have some tools. You certainly need a spare tire. Most of the trails will be mostly scratch free except for saturday and Sunday. By far the most amazing campsite but it comes at a cost. A past club officer made the mistake of saying you will get light pinstriping. It’s major pinstriping. In some spots the trail is narrower than your truck. If you want to camp but don’t want the damage you can park at the trailhead in a parking spot, throw your camping stuff in one of the other trucks and ride along. I wouldn’t suggest bringing your kids if you do that but I’m sure wives and dogs are fine. Speaking of dogs. If you are bringing a dog that doesn’t get along with other dogs make sure you have him on a leash.

As far as alcohol. We will most likely be camping and riding in state and federal parks where alcohol is prohibited. That being said we have never had an issue. We are all adults and can make our own decisions. Out of sight out of mind.

We are also in the mountains where rain showers and wind can be a factor. Be prepared! We will bring the club 10x20 canopy for rain at night.

There will be plenty of stops for gas and probably a grocery store on Friday and Saturday.

Also note we are in black bear country. Don’t put food in your tent. We can string up trash at night.

Fees are $5 for the price of the 2022 OTMT event sticker.

PayPal fee to info@upstatecruisers.com

Attending:
@NCLX
@LCNuts
@BMThiker
@Bryanseye
@IcutYourCruiser
@trshmtnyoda
@AJR
@forestfish
@TallPineCruiser

You know you want to:
@SFROMAN
@jamesurq

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to bring your official NC Gamelands Map with you into Gorges SP. Last year the rangers ran us off saying we couldn't camp there - when we all knew we really could. No cell signal there, so no way to prove them wrong with your iDevices. Bring your papers!
IMG_1449.PNG

Attachments

• Toxaway-AugerHole.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Toxaway-GameLands.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Be cause of short notice, the fee is $5 for the price of the sticker.

Everyone can provide their own meals and we could do pot luck Saturday night.

Charcuterie board is my vote for Saturday night

Last edited:
Unfortunately I’m out not enough notice for work.

Randomly found last years sticker and finally installed on the 60. Long time coming but it finally made it.

View attachment 3076986
Doh, check the horizon. I will see if there are any leftovers if it can't be fixed. Or don't worry about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom