Other steel wheel options? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mud,
In the market for 16" steel wheels.

These are ready to go, with clips but a bit pricey for steels.

Is there a more cost effective option, even if I have to mount my own clips? I'm really craving the old school hubcap look on my 62.

Thanks so much!

You want cheap? 16x6 trailer wheels are cheap. Zero offset and work fine with 235/85 and 255/85 tires. You'd have to figure out your own clips. I ran a set of the $40 white spoke ones on my 62 for a long while, they worked fine and are on a 40 now. There is a "steely" type traditional looking trailer wheel too, but you'd need to open up the center bore. 16" trailer wheels carry a higher load rating than many truck wheels, but I can't speak to the exact test methods or other manufacturing tolerances..
FB_IMG_1612047217101.jpg

Not hub caps capable but the 70 series wheels are a great option but almost as pricey

cragar soft 8s

If you're willing to deal with painting/powder coating them (either DIY or pay somebody):

U.S. Wheel 70-7760-SPEC U.S. Wheel Custom Order Dropship Only Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-7760-spec (16x7)
U.S. Wheel 70-7860-SPEC U.S. Wheel Custom Order Dropship Only Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-7860-spec (16x8)

I'd probably order with 3.0" of backspacing for most tire sizes. I have 3.75" BS with my current 33x10.5s, and they're just a *little* too tucked in, and the wheels are ludicrously close to the calipers. 16s will still fit more easily than my 15x8 wheels, but if you're ordering custom, get the ideal backspacing.

That's all assuming you're okay with getting the things painted, of course. If you want ready-to-run wheels, think hard about whether or not you're willing to run spacers. If so, there's a whole world of 16" spares meant for Tacomas etc. which are downright cheap. It's up to you to research the safety concerns with spacers and think about how religiously you can keep up with regular checks on an extra 24 lug nuts hiding behind your wheels, and how much you actually drive the truck, and how much money not having to worry about all of that is worth to you.

If you're willing to deal with painting/powder coating them (either DIY or pay somebody):

U.S. Wheel 70-7760-SPEC U.S. Wheel Custom Order Dropship Only Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-7760-spec (16x7)
U.S. Wheel 70-7860-SPEC U.S. Wheel Custom Order Dropship Only Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-7860-spec (16x8)

I'd probably order with 3.0" of backspacing for most tire sizes. I have 3.75" BS with my current 33x10.5s, and they're just a *little* too tucked in, and the wheels are ludicrously close to the calipers. 16s will still fit more easily than my 15x8 wheels, but if you're ordering custom, get the ideal backspacing.

That's all assuming you're okay with getting the things painted, of course. If you want ready-to-run wheels, think hard about whether or not you're willing to run spacers. If so, there's a whole world of 16" spares meant for Tacomas etc. which are downright cheap. It's up to you to research the safety concerns with spacers and think about how religiously you can keep up with regular checks on an extra 24 lug nuts hiding behind your wheels, and how much you actually drive the truck, and how much money not having to worry about all of that is worth to you.
Thanks for all of the replies!

I do like the look of those white spokes wheels. Had a set on my 84 Grand Prix :)

They would look great powder coated black. Almost like the design of the oem 62 wheels. Getting them blasted and coated is no problem.

Thanks again!

@SixtyBeater666 if you want old school Toyota hubcaps bite the bullet for the city racers, or bite the other bullet and find old salvage fj40 wheels here with the tabs....I believe you’ll need to find the non riveted ‘yota wheels.

Making and welding on home made tabs in a perfect circle x4 has always sounded like a pain in the ass....to me anyway.

I run the 70 series wheels with a 255/85r16 km3. I really like this combination.

F8E488E7-351A-4FC4-B66D-896B4F186FC7.jpeg

Thanks for all of the replies!

I do like the look of those white spokes wheels. Had a set on my 84 Grand Prix :)

They would look great powder coated black. Almost like the design of the oem 62 wheels. Getting them blasted and coated is no problem.

Thanks again!

I went the Summit wheel route for my 16”s. I was able to order in raw steel and had them PC’d.
They’re decent wheels, but makes you realize how stout and quality our OE wheels really are.

Run a set of reconditioned FJ40 wheels myself. 15" over 16 but tires are cheaper:

Photo12.jpg

IMG_6018.jpg

Fresh set just came up for sale today complete with tires:

Run a set of reconditioned FJ40 wheels myself. 15" over 16 but tires are cheaper:

View attachment 2665216

View attachment 2665215

Fresh set just came up for sale today complete with tires:

I'm rolling in a nice set of oem wheels but I'd really like 16" wheels. I think the silver powder coated, slotted Chevy wheels will look good with my blue and gray 62.

Also, for the price of those wheels that went up for sale, I could burn my $$ up on 16" City Racer steel wheels and have the 16" that I want.

I do love the Toyota steels with hubcaps but I can't justify the cost for 16".

I'm rolling in a nice set of oem wheels but I'd really like 16" wheels. I think the silver powder coated, slotted Chevy wheels will look good with my blue and gray 62.

Also, for the price of those wheels that went up for sale, I could burn my $$ up on 16" City Racer steel wheels and have the 16" that I want.

I do love the Toyota steels with hubcaps but I can't justify the cost for 16".

I was in the same boat. Wanted 16's from City Racer but just didn't have the capital for the wheels, power coating, and new tires I would need. So I opted for a nice set of used 40 series wheels. I would have loved the City Racer steelies but same as you OP the funds were just not there for me to do that. For me 16's were a nice to have but not required so I settled on the 15's. If the 16's were that important to me, I would have figured out a way to run the City Racer ones.

What about the FJ Cruiser 16X7 takeoffs a lot of guys run:

B03EC7FC-C916-411B-9165-159A742EE2F0.jpeg.jpg

You'll have to check the fit on these but maybe something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B01M5FTE56

HTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom