Other Maintenance to do while replacing Head Gasket ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*Yes, I did a search of the forum and could not find any definitive answer/advice, and yes I have the 3fe FSM downloaded.

Hi there,

I have an '88 all stock FJ62 with 157k, that has had consistent overheating problems since I got it running after 10 years of sitting. Not red line pegging overheating, but it easily jumps over the normal operating temp, even just cruising in traffic with the AC on, and other situations where it probably should not get that hot as quickly

After changing the thermostat, water pump, and radiator, I am going to just pull the top end off and redo the head gasket. My question for the forum is this:

While I am in there, with everything apart, what other maintenance (preventative or otherwise) should I take care of? I had someone suggest rod bearings, and a few other things, but they were not "cruiser heads". I am not a professional mechanic (although my friend who is a mechanic is helping me) so I am not familiar with what other maintenance to take care of. Just curious if there is any 3fe specific things that I should take care of at 157k.

Thanks for the advice!

Make sure to check the ground on the gauge cluster first, could be an electrical demon...

New temperature sender
Get an infrared temperature sensing gun to verify the temperature. The stock gauge can't be trusted unless it's been calibrated.

I'd replace gaskets all over the place - like side cover gasket, exhaust manifold, might as well go after your old hoses for the cooling system - since you are going to be draining all the coolant anyway.

I had similar overheating - replaced water pump, thermostat, radiator, all hoses, and added a digital temperature gauge and a transmission cooler. Only on steep climbs do I overheat at this point.

So three of the posts above are suggesting doing something besides pulling the head...and I tend to agree with them. It is not at all clear from the symptoms you describe that replacing the head gasket is going to address your problem.

Have you done a compression and/or leak down test? Do you have air bubbles in your coolant? Is there water in your oil?

Did you replace the cap along with the radiator? Did you install the thermostat gasket/o-ring (different from the water outlet gasket). Is the ignition timing correct?

Check the easy stuff first before removing the head. If you do remove the head, then you should do the oil galley plug fix.

1593707515003.png

So three of the posts above are suggesting doing something besides pulling the head...and I tend to agree with them. It is not at all clear from the symptoms you describe that replacing the head gasket is going to address your problem.

Have you done a compression and/or leak down test? Do you have air bubbles in your coolant? Is there water in your oil?

Did you replace the cap along with the radiator? Did you install the thermostat gasket/o-ring (different from the water outlet gasket). Is the ignition timing correct?

Check the easy stuff first before removing the head. If you do remove the head, then you should do the oil galley plug fix.

View attachment 2359365
Thanks! I will run a few more tests that you suggested, and add a digital temp gauge to verify what the stock gauge is saying. Thanks for this chart, I looked at this in the beginning in the FSM, but I missed a few steps.

Thanks everyone else for the other maintenance suggestions!

I'd replace gaskets all over the place - like side cover gasket, exhaust manifold, might as well go after your old hoses for the cooling system - since you are going to be draining all the coolant anyway.

I had similar overheating - replaced water pump, thermostat, radiator, all hoses, and added a digital temperature gauge and a transmission cooler. Only on steep climbs do I overheat at this point.

Anybody use the gasket kit from Cruiser Corps? I was looking to change quite a few gaskets myself. (intake/exhaust, oil pan, side cover, valve cover, ect...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom