Other bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
Anyone know if front bumpers from other trucks fit on the 80 (rover, J**p, Taco)? Without having to heavily modify the bumper or mounts? Just a thought, might not be too processed, but non the less a thought.

-Sam-

The 80 ARB fits perfectly over the frame rail ends. The 100 series is different and the 4 runners are different. It has to be a perfect and tight fit to provide stability and the safety you are looking for. Otherwise, it has potential to bend the frame when it has a slight impact.

I wouldn't go there. Either buy one that is made specific, or custom build one to the correct measurements.

Process the thought some more... :flipoff2:

I must ask...Why?

I'm with Doug, give that idea a few more spins around the brain blender.

TJK

Romer said:
It has to be a perfect and tight fit to provide stability and the safety you are looking for. Otherwise, it has potential to bend the frame when it has a slight impact.

I wouldn't go there. Either buy one that is made specific, or custom build one to the correct measurements.

Read this over a few times ... and then go and search for a thread by IdahoDoug where he dissects the carnage of his brothers accident scene. It will open your eyes ...

TY

NorCalDoug said:
Process the thought some more... :flipoff2:

I must ask...Why?

Fair enough... looking at the ARB , slee, and TJM bumpers they are all excellent. I ask this question because having seen tons of bumpers on different non 80 rigs, I like the way they are setup having a lower profile while maintaining the strength. Not having front flares I wanted a bumper that would sit inline with the rest of the body (I know it's only a few inches difference), and a front skid plate would be nice. I just want something different without having to have one custom made (I priced that out, which was followed by me smiling and walking out). :eek:

I did read the accident report, and am aware that the bumper and frame must fit very snuggly, that's why I ask, figuring someone on this board has tried it or attempted something of the sort.

I've taken a few measurements, in terms of frame rail to frame rail distance, etc., but haven't had the time to go out and follow up on my research.
I appreciate the input and comments.

Oh and Doug.... :flipoff2: right back at you buddy. :beer:

-SAm-

You're not going to get something different that's not custom unless you spend a lot of money shopping in other countries and bringing it home.

Kalawang

Once you factor in cost of the non-LC bumper, modification, time required to fit, measure, etc...
you might be better off just spending the $500 to $700 on a TJM or ARB bumper.

Customize one that already fits if you're concerned about bumper bits sticking out. Personally, I like having the ARB sticking out a bit on the side...better to hit it than to hit my quarter panel.

:D

PKP80 said:
.... and a front skid plate would be nice.

What is that skidplate going to do? In IFS trucks they make the bumpers with plates to protect the front brackets. On a solid axle truck all you might be protecting is the drag link. However if you hit the draglink with a rock, you are not going anywhere forward since the diff will not clear either.

sleeoffroad said:
More facts! If you do not have flares, the ARB commercial bar is a better fit.
ARB commercial bar? I thought it was no longer available.

sleeoffroad said:
It is not what you know, but who you know and also how long you want to wait?
Excellent point.

Todd

Just make sure you weld the fairlead hole shut before you give Jim the ARB. That way, he can be cool like me and not have a bumper with a huge hole in it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom