Otentik or Neso for awning? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Wondering if any folks here have experience with either the Otentik or Neso beach shade?

http://www.otentik.com/ & http://www.nesotents.com/

(Neso is a copy of the Otentik)

My wife and I enjoy going to Outer Banks, with the wind out on the beach we've had virtually no luck with any awning or shade. Anecdotally, a mildly windy day is sustained winds of 15-20mph and we'll be at the high tide line for +6 hours.

These also would appear to be good for general camping use, as they have a lot of flexibility in anchoring and pole placement.

Just curious if anyone's used them and has any feedback?

What happens if the bags get wet?

Not sure why that would be a concern?

Just thinking about camping aspect. Weights are full of sand.

Ah, gotcha. The bags are empty, you fill them with sand or rocks or whatever is available wherever you happen to be when you need to anchor the shade. I was thinking, for camping use, just tether to the vehicle roofrack, and run out 2 ground anchors.

Anyway, the bags getting wet, from my perspective, is no concern at all. Dump out whatever's in them, shake them, and pack 'em up.

Looks pretty cool. I wonder if you can pitch it with one side low to provide a wind break?

Get a MSR Zing/Wing because the engineering and quality is designed for stability in high winds. For the sand make mini sand anchors (look like parachutes) out of Tyvek and paracord. I camp on the beaches south of the Everglades and we have wind too. Bring a shovel too.

The beach shade looks cool. I also like that car sunshade they have.

Get this... Because my governor wants to be president some day soon, this year when I brought my VW in for inspection, I was informed that my window tint (35%) would have to be removed, at my cost, because the Gov decided to outlaw window tint. All of it, not just the dark ones. So after $300 for the tint five years ago, plus the $80 or so to have it removed, I now get to sit in a boiling hot car all summer. And the cops made it clear that they did not ask for this and don't need it.

So that means the tint I wanted for the 80 is in doubt.

But yeah the beach awning looks nice.

I know all too well what beach winds are like. I feel your pain. 20 MPH is just another average day. And as you said they are sustained, as in constant! Relentless! ...as in annoying.

However the ARB awning on my 80 takes that kind of wind quite well. I try to keep it on the down wind side of the truck and anchored at all times but, winds shift quickly out there so it often ends up facing the wrong way. Have you considered this type of awning? My 8 footer cost less than $300. On Amazon no less.

I got some 3/4" PVC and cut it to different lengths, between 18 - 30", and drilled holes in them for my sand anchors when using a Kelty car tarp. Run the guy lines through the drilled holes and it's stable. I decided against a Otentik or Neso due to how much space is required to guy them out. A proper awning like the ARB would be nice...

Bringing this one back from the dead...

We ended up buying the Neso 1 sun shade for a trip to the Outer Banks of NC. We used it every day we were there, both soundside and oceanside (Ramps 55 and 72). By following the instructions + additional guidance, this shade easily stood up to the constant winds on the OBX (15-25mph for 4-6 hours/day, with higher gusts).
  1. Stretch it out so the shade will be taut before raising it.
  2. Dig holes in sand for the bags - in the soft sand, this took a few minutes by hand, and I used a small shovel for wet sand.
  3. Place bags in those holes, completely fill them with sand, cover the bags with sand.
  4. Grab the poles and push up the front - poles should be a few inches from the leading edge.
I was absolutely blown away by how effective this was, how quick and easy setup/tear-down were, and the small size == not too large of a footprint + enough shade for my wife and I. We only had to adjust it once in 5 days of use. Now I need a CGear sand mat (and a shorter chair for my wife) for the perfect beach setup...
1623340397900.png

Bringing this one back from the dead...

We ended up buying the Neso 1 sun shade for a trip to the Outer Banks of NC. We used it every day we were there, both soundside and oceanside (Ramps 55 and 72). By following the instructions + additional guidance, this shade easily stood up to the constant winds on the OBX (15-25mph for 4-6 hours/day, with higher gusts).
  1. Stretch it out so the shade will be taut before raising it.
  2. Dig holes in sand for the bags - in the soft sand, this took a few minutes by hand, and I used a small shovel for wet sand.
  3. Place bags in those holes, completely fill them with sand, cover the bags with sand.
  4. Grab the poles and push up the front - poles should be a few inches from the leading edge.
I was absolutely blown away by how effective this was, how quick and easy setup/tear-down were, and the small size == not too large of a footprint + enough shade for my wife and I. We only had to adjust it once in 5 days of use. Now I need a CGear sand mat (and a shorter chair for my wife) for the perfect beach setup...
View attachment 2699891

I am glad you posted the update last year, as the wife and I are about to head to Ocracoke here in a few weeks. We have used the 8’ ARB on the side of our 100 for a couple years now.

The changes now are I removed the K-9 bars and have a slick roof and love the look. Even got LX470 gutter mouldings, and windshield trim and it’s all clean and looking better now.

I used these magnificence sand “stakes” that are nylon and 24” long. I am thinking the Neso Grande with my four stakes would be perfect. Neso uses reenforced grommets so I can untie the sand bags and use some nice rope. I would put the rear lower as to be more to the ground and go from there.

The guy lines I would use have tension adjusters on them also for added benefit.

I am glad you posted the update last year, as the wife and I are about to head to Ocracoke here in a few weeks. We have used the 8’ ARB on the side of our 100 for a couple years now.

The changes now are I removed the K-9 bars and have a slick roof and love the look. Even got LX470 gutter mouldings, and windshield trim and it’s all clean and looking better now.

I used these magnificence sand “stakes” that are nylon and 24” long. I am thinking the Neso Grande with my four stakes would be perfect. Neso uses reenforced grommets so I can untie the sand bags and use some nice rope. I would put the rear lower as to be more to the ground and go from there.

The guy lines I would use have tension adjusters on them also for added benefit.
I would very much encourage you to at least try using the sandbags that are included - I was impressed how well they work.

I dug holes about a foot deep, dropped the bags in, filled with sand - this is the most important step! - until I couldn't stuff any more in them. Then covered/buried them.

I've never really had much luck using stakes, although I did cut some 1" PVC about 2 ft long and pounded them in the sand to use with a Kelty Car Tarp. I drilled holes about 1" from the top to run the guy lines through, and it worked fine on mild days, but not on the really windy/gusty days.

Regardless, enjoy the OBX!!!!

Cool beans, thanks for the blessing.
I’ve even considered the new Gigante and just pitching my own car port on the beach! Lol…

FWIW these are the stakes I have, only rule is you have to have a rubber mallet to pound them in. They are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom