OTC 7249 Have Everything To Replace Upper Ball Joints? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the planning phase of replacing the upper ball joints and bushings. My buddy has an OTC 7249 I can borrow.

OTC has a bunch of adapter kits for various vehicles, but I'm not sure if any are needed for the uppers.

Does anyone know if that kit, OTC 7249 has all the adapters needed to do the job?

If memory serves you can do the uppers with only what is in that kit. A grinder helps in removing the old one if you want to do it in situ (theoretically not messing up your alignment too much).

If you want to do the lowers at the same time, you need to add a 2" pipe nipple to help press in the new ones. 2 1/8" exhaust pipe (second link) is the right diameter and works for some people but crushed for me.

Also a good time to check out TREs, wheel bearings, axles and brake rotors. But that is a whole separate conversation.
Some good reading:

Edit: A pitman arm puller is handy for releasing the TRE and ball joints locking tapers from the hub. I'd borrow or buy one of those too, if you don't have one already:
Amazon product ASIN B0009OR91K

Last edited:
I just did this on my 2006. Make sure to mark your upper control arm bolts with a marker so you can get them back to position. Those bolt positions are part of your alignment but you can get them back to their exact position if you mark them.

i paid a local front end shop $88 to press in new bushings (i bot from cruiser outfitters) and 555 ball joints (also from cruiser outfitters) into my upper control arms. Supposedly these 555 bjs are decent but only time will tell.

If memory serves you can do the uppers with only what is in that kit. A grinder helps in removing the old one if you want to do it in situ (theoretically not messing up your alignment too much).

If you want to do the lowers at the same time, you need to add a 2" pipe nipple to help press in the new ones. 2 1/8" exhaust pipe (second link) is the right diameter and works for some people but crushed for me.

Also a good time to check out TREs, wheel bearings, axles and brake rotors. But that is a whole separate conversation.
Some good reading:

Edit: A pitman arm puller is handy for releasing the TRE and ball joints locking tapers from the hub. I'd borrow or buy one of those too, if you don't have one already:
Amazon product ASIN B0009OR91K
Hi folks, we're having trouble separating one of the upper ball joints and looking to buy the pitman puller. There's 2 available where we are, and the jaw opening sizes are 27mm (tool 1129) or 34mm (tool 1952).

Any suggestions on which one is the correct size for the 100-series? Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20200915_031715_com.shopee.my.jpg

Screenshot_20200915_031902_com.shopee.my.jpg

I used a Lisle 41900. Anything that looks like this ought to do the the trick:

41XXjexwGfL._AC_.jpg

This may help. I use evertough 67025 to pop the upper BJ form the knuckle. Then the Powerbuilt kit 46, to press in & out the ball joint.

I'm in the planning phase of replacing the upper ball joints and bushings. My buddy has an OTC 7249 I can borrow.

OTC has a bunch of adapter kits for various vehicles, but I'm not sure if any are needed for the uppers.

Does anyone know if that kit, OTC 7249 has all the adapters needed to do the job?

I have that kit and it is very Spartan. I had to use a cornucopia of sockets and pipe fittings to do my upper ball joints and bushings.

Same thing for the lower.

Bushings9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom