OT: Camping recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not really vehicle tech-related, so mods please let me know if there's a more appropriate place to post this...

We'll be traveling from the LCDC in Ouray to Sequoia NP in August. Google says 16 hours, and we'll have our trailer attached so I figure it'll be more like 18. Thus I need a place to stop on the way and am looking for some recommendations from the group, since I know there are folks coming from CA (@ethernectar , @Markuson, etc). Mojave would probably be ideal, but it looks like it's all FCFS camping so I don't know if there will be space - I'd prefer to reserve a spot somewhere in advance wherever I go if I can as nothing sucks more than to roll into the only campground around at 9pm and find it full. Also I imagine it'll be sweltering in August and while I have solar and batteries I don't have a generator so A/C is not happening unless all 5 of us sleep in the LC. Death Valley is right out, for obvious reasons. I considered Hoover Dam but it's only 9 hours from Ouray, which means another 7 the following day to get to Sequoia, and I'd prefer to get there sooner if I could.

After Sequoia/Kings Canyon we're doing Yosemite and then it's a 33 hour drive home. I'll likely spend the first night in Salt Lake City, so if there are any good recommendations of campgrounds around there I'm all ears as well.

Aside form the above, any recommendations on things to see in Rocky Mountain NP in CO as well as Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP, an Yosemite NP in CA are appreciated. I have some guidebooks but I'd trust the word of the group over them any day

Last edited:
At least one of the sequoia groves should be on the docket. Leave time to walk around and really see what they are.

In Yosemite on the way to tuolumne meadows is a walk in high camp called May Lake. It is less than 2 miles and only a little vertical from the parking area. Because it is walk in generally there is space. If you have the ability for each person to carry their bag, and you have a tent, it’s worth the trip. Absolutely amazing alpine lake with mt. Hoffman right there. Did that with my parents at age 8 and still fond memories. I’ve since backpacked out of that trailhead many times it is one of the easiest entries to the north part of the park which is really stunning and there are Few people and trails that way. Wonderful off trail possibilities.

The valley will be very busy as will the meadows, less so on weekdays.

Upper Yosemite falls is a nice steep hike, even if you just go to the top of the lower falls.

Do you have details on what you like to do? What is your hiking range?

We can usually hike about 6-7 miles round trip if it's strenuous, but our hiking speed averages about 2mph, sometimes a bit less. I can go further but the kids tend to peter out. Steep is OK but I'm not a fan of knife-edge ridge hikes or those where I feel like I'm constantly in fear of my kids falling to their death if they're not paying attention.

Ok. Try Sentinel dome off of glacier point.

Also floating down the Merced thru the valley is a really neat experience. Not to hard to plan and lots of places to hop out and in.

Brunch at the ahwahnee is pleasant and will leave a big impression.

In kings canyon there is a nice creek walk called Stoney creek. It has some good slick rock slides and a pleasant pool to skip rocks in or swim. Not too far or steep.

Thanks @grinchy

Anyone have any recommendations on places to stopover on the way from Ouray to Sequoia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom