Orion trail report and cool photo of Jeep Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.seattlecruiserheads.com
Hi All,

I was one of those guys who had problems with a brand new Orion transfer case on its first trail run: the case would pop out of 4-low into neutral. Lately I have been doing some work on my rig (1978 SOA FJ40). I just added fresh intake/exhaust manifolds, clutch master, clutch slave, just completed rebuilt Jim Chenoweth carb, new fluids etc, etc. I replaced the AA fluid with 80/90 wt oil in the Orion and tightened everything I could get a tool on.

I ran some hills and muddy trails north of Gold Bar, Washington today. While fiddling with my truck this guy hiked out of the woods. He was desperate for a tow. Seems he got his brand new 2005 Jeep "Rubicon" Wrangler hopelessly stuck in an off camber mud puddle. So
once I finished airing down we drove off down to the far end of the power (Reiter Pit) line area to find his truck. I tried to get ahead of him, thought better of that idea and reversed out and then turned around. I then used my strap to pull him out with his truck going backwards. I simply had to sneak a quick photo of this glorious moment. He was a nice guy though and a little embarresed. I then explained to the Rubicon owner that my "friend" had failed to show up and invited him to run up the Lake Isabel Trail with me. He seemed interested and we drove over to the initial river crossing. Once he took one look at the river crossing he backed out though, saying he didn't feel comfortable and left me alone. I then ran part of the trail by myself. I did not drive to the top of the trail because it is not the smart thing to do by oneself. I had brought my digital camcorder with an articulating camera support so I video taped myself crossing the stream. I actually crossed the stream six times to get different camera angles! Should be fun editing that. I then ran another (very tight) section in the lower woods. Very muddy. Very rutted. I had a great time though. The Orion worked perfectly as did the rest of the truck which I am thrilled about. No carb problems. Whoo! Hoo! The Orion stayed in gear the entire time. Not sure if the problem is fixed or just waiting for a more critical moment.

I thought I would include a scene from the Jeep rescue...

Cheers,

Max
jeep_rubicon.jpg

Nice photo, Max. Be nice, it's just a jeep and his mom is going to be upset if he get's it dirty. I'm surprised he couldn't get out by just going off to the right. Glad to hear that your 40 is working well. What happened to Rodney and his 45?

Todd.

Be kind. They hide that electric locker thingy switch in a tough location.

Actually the photo makes the situation look like nothn'. The ground was deeply rutted in front of him and sloped away at an angle with deepening puddles on each side of this rut. Nice guy though, just a new driver with a new toy...

Max

Well that is not the first time a cruiser has rescued a jeep or two! Welcome to the club ;p But I am sure a few jeeps have resued a cruiser. Well, maybe just once. :D

A common name

My little white westie in my avatar is named.....you guest it MAX ;p

Good job. Here is a great chance to bring a newb into 4wheeling by helping him. Maybe he'll join a club and be one of the good guys.

CruiserMax said:
Hi All,

I was one of those guys who had problems with a brand new Orion transfer...

So how did the Orion perform?

What exactly did you do to it other than change the oil?

Thanks!

-Steve

just by seeing where the rubicon was stuck makes me laugh. WTF ?
How do you get stuck there ?

Poser said:
So how did the Orion perform?

What exactly did you do to it other than change the oil?

Thanks!

-Steve

The Orion worked great. All I have done so far is tighten everything I can with regards to the shift linkage etc. I have pointed it down hills and let her rip. So far so good: no popping out of gear. I have done this in 4-low and 2-high while trying to get it to "pop". It certainly did have the problem the first time I took it out on a trail. Now the problem is either no longer there or lurking, waiting for a more critical moment. I will keep testing. But it is SOOO sweet having that extra crawl available...

Max

So did you crank down the detent set screw?

What else did you tighten up?

Glad to hear that it is working for you!

Seems like you were more excited about pulling out a jeep than you were about your own truck working well....

:beer:

-Steve

timbercruiser said:
Good job. Here is a great chance to bring a newb into 4wheeling by helping him. Maybe he'll join a club and be one of the good guys.

Well after the 'jeep' atitude prevailed by a bunch of jeep jerks on the way out of the trail at Rubithon this year, it is going to take awhile for quite a few cruiser owners to even consider helping any jeep owners out in the future.

----HYJACK----

This type of attitude is very prevalent in Toyota owners, and is in no way exclusive to Jeep people, or any other brand for that matter. Have seen it way too many times in the 17+ years that I have been involved with this sport and these vehicles. There are many people that just do not seem to understand that we are all users of the land, and we are all in the same boat. When the hammer falls down and we are all locked out, there are not going to be specific ‘brand X ONLY’ trails or open areas. Brand loyalty is great, and ribbing a guy about his vehicle is one thing, but this kind of thing is well beyond that, and is in no way a ‘ Jeep’ attitude.

If you do not believe me, pay attention to the many people out here that continually bash on Jeep, talk about how they are a s*** vehicle, or that somehow their brain does not allow them to type Jeep, it has to be some other character combination. It is just silly. The same people that have given me s*** about my Toyota junk or Jap s***, that have been broken on the trail, have always seen me offer to help them, even after their s***. It just does not really matter to me. In the end, we are all enthusiasts, and enjoy similar things; a make of vehicle really has very little to do with it. I used to go to the Dakota Territory Challenge over Labor Day weekend in the Black Hills from 1993 to 1997, and enjoyed seeing and running with many people that did not operate Toyota vehicles. I actually miss this event, and have been thinking about trying to get back out there for it again.

The bottom line on this issue is the fact that we are all in this together, and until we start walking the walk instead of just running our mouths, we are no different than those we talk negatively about.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom